Survey: Scissors as floss in UK

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, May 13, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- More than 60 percent of Britons use items such as screwdrivers, scissors and earrings to remove food from between their teeth, according to a survey published on Friday.

The National Dental Survey found that, when it came to oral hygiene, people used whatever was close to hand to pick their teeth.

More than 60 percent questioned by the British Dental Health Foundation said they used makeshift items, including knives, keys, needles and forks.

The survey also found that 23 percent of people chose to leave food stuck between their teeth, increasing the risk of gum disease and bad breath, according to the foundation which promotes oral health.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Scissors are for wimps, Stanley knife all the way :D :p

3. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I have to admit to using things other than floss. :p

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Screwdrivers? And who the hell pro-actively decides to leave food between their teeth? Even the feeling of something stuck there bugs me no end.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Sometimes I weep for the stupidity of my countrymen. The scariest thing about this is those in Britain with the worst teeth are those that never see a dentist, so this is the top 80% or so that are being surveyed :eek: . I laughed myself silly when I read this on the BBC website though.

Screwdrivers :D

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

With a rusty loose blade? The kind that lurks under the stairs in the 'toolbag'?

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You can't go wrong with a hammer and chisel for getting rid of that stubborn plaque...

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Belt sander. It's the only way. Hammers and chisels are for wusses.

9. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

10. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

brushing teeth are for wimps

get them all extracted and put falsens in :D

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

They're not recyclable? Perhaps Briton's are just very environmentally aware.....

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I hear what you're saying, but I find the chisel much better for cleaning the recesses between my teeth and for reaching those difficult, hard-to-reach spots at the back of my mouth.

A belt sander is great if you're in a hurry, mind, and you want to give your teeth a quick clean.

13. dcv macrumors G3

Meh, who needs teeth anyway? Just liquidise all your food :D <-- need to change that smiley to have no teeth!

14. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Two gents from Norwich after a self induced tartar cleaning.

[​IMG]

15. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Because it's neither a belt sander, hammer and chisel or any other 'manly' thing. Keep up! :) Don't be confused! :) it's how we do things here, lad, like walking 20 miles to school with only half a clog on and eating a parsnip every other day for dinner (if your parents can afford it). :)

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Re: Scissors... like... I take it they're referring, in majority, to nail scissors? Euu?!

17. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I was actually considering coming to live in London...until now! :p

18. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Eh lad ---- Lunnon's for girlies and them people wiv teeth and other fancy stoof. As long as ye can do yer stint in the mine for 22 hours and coom oop ready to sink a few barrels of sulphuric acid to wash the dust out of yer throat, yer'll be reet welcome 'ere lad! An' bring some spare gnashers with yer. :)

19. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Sadly, not a big surprise.

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Alarmingly, within living memory this was the route of choice. People were 'given' as gifts for their birthdays a trip to the dentist to remove all their teeth and get false ones. It was seen as a good thing since avoided future costly trips and all the potential problems with toothache. :eek:

I have floss at home with a cute little Alessi dispenser but don't tend to carry it around with me. If I think there's something stuck in my tooth and there's no toothpick handy, I tend to excuse myself and use a fingernail (since they're relatively long) to try to dislodge it. The idea of screwdrivers or floss seems a little bizarre... surely even a metal nail file would be a better idea?

21. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I'm guessing that the people who said screwdrivers were men. A man is more likely to carry a screwdriver than a nail file :p

22. iGav macrumors G3

Man nan had that done... all of them ripped out when she was young. :eek:

My old boss had a similar thing done... he had all of his removed, and fancy ones screwed back in for that perfect smile. :D He came into work after having them all removed and his mouth was a right bloody mess, then the next week he had a perfect set of gnashers. :D

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You were lucky!

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Theres nothing more peaceful than a woman talking to you whiles week old chicken particles is spewing from her mouth:eek:

Bless

25. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

That really made me laugh, but I'm not even going to try replying in that accent! :D