Survey Shows Pre-Launch Demand for Apple's iWatch on Par With iPad

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

A new ChangeWave survey shows that consumers have a similar level of interest in buying a rumored Apple iWatch, as were interested in buying an Apple tablet just before the iPad was announced.

19% of respondents indicated they are 'very' or 'somewhat' likely to buy an iWatch, with current Apple product owners significantly more likely than others to want an iWatch.
    Rumors about the iWatch have suggested the device will run a "full" version of iOS, rather than the simpler operating system seen on the iPod nano. Additionally, The New York Times claimed the watch would have a curved glass screen.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said last year that wearable devices were "an interesting area", though "the book hasn't been written on that yet."

Article Link: Survey Shows Pre-Launch Demand for Apple's iWatch on Par With iPad
  2. macrumors 68000

Jul 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Of course it will sell, the only difference this time is that other companies won't let them get a head start.
  3. filmantopia, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2010
    Yeah, the current attitude seems generally consistent with the "why would I want that" feeling many people had prior the iPad before its launch.

And then of course that crowd went out to buy it at some point.

Many, many people are very bad at knowing what they want before they experience it. They draw too much of their opinion of what they've seen in the past, and less on their imagination of what is possible.
  4. macrumors 65816

Feb 25, 2009
    Om nom nom nom
    So the battery dies... and you just have an i#%*$@(iCrap), and not even a watch.

This iWatch will not even come close to the demand & market opportunity that the iPad ever had... report is bogussssssssss.
  5. macrumors demi-god

Jan 3, 2007
    Maybe I am in the minority but I have zero interest in this product.
  6. macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2003
    I frequently plan to buy products about which I:
    • know nothing about the price
    • know nothing about the looks
    • know nothing about the functionality
    • know nothing about the release date
    Sign me up!
  7. macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2010
    I don't think the companies *can* give them a head start, because they don't know what Apple will actually do with it. They also may not have access to patented tech that makes the functionality possible.
  8. macrumors regular

Apr 4, 2012
    I recall being highly skeptical and even participated in the joking around about how the iPad is just an oversized iPod touch. Had no interest in it at all... that is, until I was in the store and used one. I bought one the next day. One of my favorite devices by far.

So far my feeling for this alleged iOS watch have been following the same trend. We shall see.
  9. macrumors 68040

Feb 12, 2010
    You joke, but I am legitimately pretty excited for this product.
  10. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
    they haven't asked for mine

new rMBP15
    new MacPro
    new TB displays
    iPhone 5S
  11. macrumors 68020

Sep 22, 2009
    Here's to hoping the iWatch is similar to this :D

12. macrumors demi-god

Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA
    ChangeWave never called me and asked my opinion, so the whole survey is meaningless.

Please ignore this survey.

I would have told them I have no interest in the watch thingy...and that would have ended the whole issue.

I believe this issue is now settled!:rolleyes:

;) :D
  13. macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2010
    We don't know the battery life would be. But if it runs iOS 6, then we might need preparing ourself for charging your watch every night. Now we have one more thing need to plugged in before we sleep
  14. macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2010
    We'll have to wait and see...

Hopefully for Apple it will have to be significantly better than the last generation nano which has been a complete dog. (no offense meant to canines or their owners :) )
  15. macrumors 68020

Jun 10, 2010
    That :apple: logo is like gold. Tech blogs and nerds may hate Apple for their simplicity and closed sandbox, but everyone else loves it.
  16. macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2003
    That's fair to be excited.

I will be excited when I see ANY substantive evidence that this will actually be released and a glimmer of what it will be like. I've been excited for the incredible and amazing Apple TV experience that's been just over the horizon for 5 years and I'm still waiting.

Don't get me wrong--I appreciate that this site is geared toward rumors so unfounded articles are par the course. I just like it once we get to part leaks and tech specs rather than fanboi wet dreams.
  17. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    I was REALLY excited for the iPad. I don't even care about the iWatch.

So the survey is wrong.
  18. macrumors 68030

Mar 16, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    It wouldn't surprise me if many of you who say "why would I need one" will queue up for it the first day it is released.
  19. macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2012
    I trust in Apple. They have so many talented people up and down the product delivery process that anything new they produce will be an amazing product. I remember thinking that the iPad was a ridiculous product and that no one would want it. Now I can't live without mine. If Apple does produce an iWatch, it will be unlike any of our expectations and completely wow us with the value it adds to our technical experience.
  20. macrumors 68030

Sep 6, 2007
    I have zero interest too... right now... because I don't know what it's going to do yet. Maybe after announcement and I know what's there, I might want one. :)
  21. macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2007
    Survey? You want a survey?

How about a survey to find out if people are tired of stupid moronic surveys?

Survey takers are just slightly above lawyers, politicians, and TV evangelists on the "Hate Scale". But not by much.
  22. macrumors regular

Oct 6, 2009
    And your ordinary watch does not run out of battery because it is automatic?
  23. macrumors member

Jan 11, 2006
    Austin - Live Music Capital of the World!
    I wonder what the %'s would be for an i-whatever?? I think we only see results of people who just say they would be "very" or "somewhat" likely to buy a new apple product regardless of what is. Not sure if this survey has any real meaning.
  24. macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2003

How will apple and others make this watch work for both men and women without making it too small? There is no way women will wear a big honkin watch and no way most men would want a tiny one. Will be interesting to see and I will purchase one immediately if its not too small.
  25. macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2008
    How about mobile me or the g4 cube?