Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Buying another IPT 6 this afternoon, so I can answer this now:

I use it for email, watching movies, music, calendar, writing down story ideas, checking transit and quick searches, screenshots / light image work. And I may use it for school too (math, language etc.)

What color are you going for?

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Not true. I bought a 32gb red in the same Apple store last month.:)

If iOS9 didn't brick that one, I'd probably still return for a 64gb because 32gb is not enough for me these days.

Hm. I guess i was wrong about "Apple Store Exclusive" this whole time :oops:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Tween Smartphones

No cell contract and they're almost always in range of wifi, or around a parent with wifi. Between FaceTime and Skype, communications bases are covered. And yes, they mainly use them for gaming.

Google Voice and the Google Hangouts application give a seamless setup for using it as a total phone. That is what I use and keep a basic flip phone in my truck.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I have a 5G and use it when I go out for email and browsing since I don't have a smart phone. Very small and light and perfect for that. If I'm at home or somewhere else for an extended period, I'll bring my iPad or use the iMac at home.

I also use the Touch for a very nifty remote control for my Yamaha AV system via the Yamaha app.

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Mostly music, the primary reason I bought the 64gb instead of the 32. My 5s still does fine for everything else.

Cobalt50

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
I use it for expense tracking mostly. Every expenditure I make goes into a finance app. Then contacts, email, web surfing, and maps. Lastly I use it for music. It's a PDA on steroids for me.

thunderboltmac

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
sudo
i have a 4g which I only use for music (2300+ songs) as it is quite slow for other things and mine has a massive (and growing) dead pixel on the screen....I probably need to replace it soon

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I use it for my alarm clock, weather checker, calendar, and random apps only for small iOS devices. But I'm using it full time right now while waiting for the iPad Pro. Wait, I'm also using my 1st gen iPad to take notes, lol... I have a sad little set-up right now. Ha ha ha.

Kal.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I use it for my alarm clock, weather checker, calendar, and random apps only for small iOS devices. But I'm using it full time right now while waiting for the iPad Pro. Wait, I'm also using my 1st gen iPad to take notes, lol... I have a sad little set-up right now. Ha ha ha.

Kal.

You definately got your money’s worth with that iPad though. Going from that to the Pro will be amazing.

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I always found it interesting how people use their devices, because I frequently find that folks find uses I wouldn't have thought of. So I'm curious as to how people use their iPods.

So, tell us (1) Which generation iPod Touch do you have and (2) What do you use it for

I'll go first:

I have the iPT6G (and I've had the iPT5G and iPT4G before this one), and I use it to read books on through iBooks app, Kindle app, GoodReader app, I surf the internet a bit, a few favorite sites, and read news through the google news app. I use it to read email (through the Mail app). I check the weather through the Weather app. I use the camera extensively pretty much every day - I photograph items in a store to compare prices, photograph where I parked so I can find my car in underground garages etc., items of interest, if I want to send a photo or video of our cat to my wife when she's at work etc. I also use various financial apps, such as my banking and credit card apps, and on occasion a few retailer apps, such as Amazon, B&H etc. pay for coffee at Starbucks using their app, use the notes to write stuff down etc. I also use such apps as a leveler if I'm working on some home project, timer, alarm, calculator, flashlight, and a few other apps.

What I do NOT use it for, except very, very rarely is music. I don't use it to send or receive messages, don't skype, don't do facetime.

What about you?

Davis Patch

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
Leeds
i get my iPod Touch 5gen in February, 2013. First year everything was perfect. That time music, social networks, photography first of all actually.
But then my 3,5 input has broke, so music is out. And then battery gets low very fast, so always i use powerbank.
So now only timelapses, photo, macrophotography, social networks.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I have a Blue 16GB 6th Gen on order for delivery next week, it's my Christmas present so won't actually get it till then.

I have a iPhone 6S 64GB, I don't use that for music as it's for photos and videos and some games, browsing the web etc and using it as a phone. And with 4K video and the live photo features I would rather keep music off it.

I will be using the iPod Touch to replace my iPod Nano 8GB in my car, I wanted it so I can use bluetooth and it will stay in my pocket, I don't have to worry about leaving it in the car. I like my music but don't have a massive collection, I also listen to music podcasts. I will also put a few games on it, not big ones, but I have a couple of old ones that will play better on the smaller screen as they haven't been optimised for the newer 4.7" screen size.

I certainly am not one to consider the iPod Touch as some toy for kids but as a sophisticated great value pocket computer.

Reactions: LinuXtreme

ChrisWard1994

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Ireland
Mostly music, some light browsing. Usually have 4 hour bus journeys twice a week so use it to save battery on my phone. If i go anywhere on holiday I find it quite useful for saving battery while travelling. The handoff and sms relay makes it more useful too as i can grab whatever device is nearest me

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
I have a couple 64gb 6th gen that are in constant use. They're the de facto camera for home and the go, the gamer (stand alone and with AirPlay), music and ,especially, audiobooks player. I love that it fits easily into the shirt pocket so I may listen to it up close without the need of earbuds. It needs a "real" FM radio unit for local sports broadcasts, though. I use it to make video tutorials in the motor garage and it's the DJ on the nights when I'm the bartender at work. FaceTime and Messages with the grandkids all without having to lug out the jumbo-sized iPhone 6s Plus, from the employer, that I don't like. Bonus: 1 in red and 1 in blue instead of the standard boring Apple shades of grey.

I only wish it were available in a cellular version so that it would be the perfect iPad Nano on the go.

I find it funny when the tiny-minded say the iPod touch is only for kids.

bunrunner

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
6th gen (my first mobile device---I'm a techie guy who waited a long time for this model)

- Google news app and Apple News to lesser extent
- listening to podcasts in my car using Bluetooth (BT) and also with earbuds around the home or walking the dog
- Weather Channel app
- streaming internet radio station RadioParadise (RP) while at work
- using cache on RP app to have up to 6 hours of music for traveling in my car (using BT)
- A lot with Mail, Messages, Safari, Notes, Calendar, Contacts, Photos (and camera) and occassional FaceTime
- Occasionally I use Music however I really prefer RP
- Xfinity's Connect app allows me to text and make phone calls to anyone, listen to or read landline voice messages, and if the app is on I can receive my landline calls anywhere (all, of course, only with WiFi)

I'm really loving it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.