Survived a year in Iraq!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DakotaGuy, Feb 11, 2005.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I don't know how many people on the board knew or remembered that I headed to Iraq a year ago, but I just wanted you guys to know that in about a week or so I will be coming home. My National Guard unit has been replaced and we are in Kuwait getting everything ready to head back to the states. It is a great feeling and I can't believe everything I have been through this year, but I am returning in the same condition that I left. The days are slow right now, but soon I will be back to my "normal" life as a teacher.

As a welcome home gift to myself I bought a new iMac G5. I have never seen the iMacs in person yet, but I decided it would be a nice computer. I got a 17" 1.8Ghz Superdrive model and had them put an Airport Extreme card and 512MB of RAM in it. Thanks to the great people at Computer Village in Rapid City, SD. I just emailed them and they took care of everything and when it was ready to go they sent my parents an email and they picked it up. My Powerbook has been great, although I did have to get the HD replaced when I was home this fall on R&R leave. Anyhow it will be nice to be back in the US and it will be nice to have my parents show up with a new iMac when they come to meet me.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Congratulations on your new Mac and far more importantly welcome home. I can only imagine how hard it has been.

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

After a year in iRaq, enjoy your iMac, welcome! (I'm in Germany but welcome)

4. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

God bless you.

well, congratulations.

consider yourself very very lucky.

and i do not mean getting an iMac G5.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow! You've definitely earned your new iMac! Welcome home!

6. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

How exciting! Continue to stay safe, and welcome home with a job well done!

7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

8. ProjektJ macrumors member

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

great news! i remember when you told us you were leaving... can't thank you enough for offering your services to our country. welcome home!! :D

10. LimitedEdition macrumors member

Thanks for your service and enjoy the new comp!

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Congrats on getting out in one piece.

My brother is flying out this week also.

However, his battalion is being split up soon and he'll most likely be reassigned to a new one in another ID that's about to be deployed.

12. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Thank you for your service.

Glad you got out in one piece.

;)

13. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

See you home soon. May those left behind be home soon too.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks for doing the Job no one wants to do,welcome back and congrats on the new machine and getting back to a normal life.

16. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Thanks for all of your kind words. There were days it wasn't so bad, and other days I would rather forget, but overall it was an experience of a lifetime. I already see that it was an extension of my education and I will never take what I used to take for granted in the United States. I have never seen such poor people or horrid living conditions in my life.

Waiting on a flight is the hardest thing at this point. I know it is coming in less then a week, but everything is done and there is nothing to do but wait! My heart goes out to anyone that has to do a "double" rotation over here. Once is enough for me.

17. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

Thanks for helping out Uncle Sam!!! I'm glad to hear your okay, and good luck with your iMac, too:)

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What branch of the service?

Good job. Glad to hear you made it back safely. Hope things continue to go well.

19. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Welcome Back to the Forums

I am sorry you had to leave in the first place... I had a close friend sent to that abject mess and he was not as lucky as you: he was beautiful, kind and a man of inmense talent in letters...

Please do not forget what you saw: use compassionate but stern reminders to your students at what this United States culture has become: rapacious greed such as ours will only breed rapacious wretchedness as the one you saw while serving.

I apologize for souring the thread: but, reality must be faced: we are heading the wrong way...

...anyway, max out the RAM on your iMac if you can.

20. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

My heart goes out to anyone that has lost a loved one in the war. I know firsthand how hard that is since we lost 2 soldiers in my Battalion. War is the worst thing I have ever seen and I hope most of you will never have to experience it. Like I said however, there were good days and bad days. A good day was when we got our mission accomplished and there were no shots fired or IED's exploding. We were lucky to have many more good days then bad days. After living in Iraq for a year, I feel very sorry for the people that live there. I hope in the near future somehow someway they will find peace. They have to find it themselves. It is their country and they need to stand-up and take charge.

As far as the RAM on the iMac, 512MB has been fine for what I do on the Powerbook, so I figured I would save some money and just had them put another 256MB module in it. Maybe over time I will put more in it, but I just don't run a lot of memory intensive programs, other then iPhoto which seems to really hog memory.

I also got an iSight to go with it and 2 Airport Expresses. One Airport will be for my bedroom that I will use for AirTunes to my Bose Wave Music System and the other will be for for Wifi Internet and AirTunes to my audio system (Yamaha 6.1 Receiver and Bose Acoustimass 16 speaker system) in my living room. This way my Powerbook and my iMac will be networked as well. It should be a pretty neat set up. We will see how it all workes when I get it set up.

21. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Army National Guard from the great state of South Dakota.

22. Zazette macrumors newbie

Abercrombieboy since you are a true witness of what's happening in Irak, do you think the Irakis are more happy now or during Saddam's regime? Were you able to speak with some locals? I don't live in the US and I was in Europe when the war started, so I just had the crappy and totaly biased anti-war coverage that was on the evening news. I tried to read articles from both side on the net but it's not easy to learn the truth when you're not there.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I do remember you posting last year about heading to Iraq for a year long tour. Your service to our country is appreciated, thank you for your service. I really mean that as one veteran to another. Although I was in the Air Force. That new iMac will be a well deserved gift, congratulations.