Survivor Get 51 Months For Not Paying Taxes On Winnings

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, May 16, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

"<sarcasm> Oh no..... I dropped the soap! :D </sarcasm>"

:p ;) :cool:

3. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Stupid people trying to cheat are holy and wonderful goverment out of money that they need to kill people to get oil.. come on guys the USA government is broke look at the 9 trillion debt! We need all the $$$ to take over other countrys!:rolleyes:

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Idiot walked away from a plea deal. :rolleyes:

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

He must still be in Survivor mode. Different Council, though. Haud vir est insula.

7. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

What sort of plea agreement was offered previously?

8. vniow macrumors G4

Further proof that only idiots would be willing to partake in such a show.

9. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Man, some pedophile rapists get less time than that. So in the US it's better to [deleted] kids than uncle sam.

(I know that is not funny, just making a point)

10. iGary Guest

iGary

51 months is a bit much. It's scary what the government can do to you if you get in trouble with taxes, folks. Seriously gestapo-type scary.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hope he has a big Jar of Vasoline:D Deluxe size

12. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I'm sorry, but if I were in his shoes I would have checked and double-checked about that money come tax time. I'd report the money to my accountants and let them figure out whether or not I needed to pay taxes on it--that's what they're there for. Sheesh. If he really didn't know then he's an idiot for not looking into it. There is no way I'd want to risk getting audited by the IRS or whatever with that amount of money being given to me. :rolleyes:

I think he was scamming and, therefore, deserves the consequences he now has to face.

13. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

It sounded like the 51 months was more because he perjured himself several times during the trial. I guess it would be worthwhile to look at the actual trial and see how they say he did that before deciding whether the sentence was too harsh.

EDIT: It's worthwhile noting that the 51 months still fits within the sentencing guidelines for the crime he was charged with. Technically, he could have had up to 13 years. He didn't even get half the time he could've potentially gotten. Chances are he'll be out in 18 months for good behavior or something anyway....

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

yeah, but four and a half years for not paying taxes and lying about it still seems harsh. Prisons are over crowded as it is. Fine him - heavily. Jail is for people who seriously hurt other people such as the enron execs who literally stole from employees and stock holders, thieves and violent criminals.

What he tried to do was screw the gov't out of money and they should have taken what was theirs plus a huge fine. Maybe get a few days in the slammer for the perjury.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Stupid Feds, always putting Rhode Island's Finest™ in jail. Evading taxes and extortion? Those aren't real crimes!

:rolleyes:

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not at all. How hard is it to obey the law?

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

How expensive is it to "host" someone in prison for 51 months? And to run the trial (both in direct costs and indirect ones due to lost jury labor)?

No one obeys the law 100%, even if they try to. Of course, it's obvious that he knew he should have paid the taxes. Still, it's an excessive punishment and it's costing all of us.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

New show?

Survivor: Cell Block 4. Anyone who doesn't get raped by Bubba wins :D

19. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

That'd be the funniest thing I've ever seen if it was true. :D

20. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

That's over 4 years in jail....

I will bet a new Mac tower that he will get out early due to good behavior or any number of other things. Theres no way he'll be in there that long, I've heard of manslaugter cases that people get less than 4.2XX years for...

21. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I guess he set him self up for this, but still I think 51 months is a lot for something not that major compared to killing someone or really causing true damage to someone....but welcome to America....

22. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

So you have never, ever broken a law? I don't know how old you are, but most people break a few laws. Speeding, drinking/smoking underage, smoke pot, etc.

Everything you sell or get as gifts might be taxable, have you checked the tax law on that?

I'd say for someone to live their life without ever breaking a law would be difficult at best.

23. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

51 months IS a rather long time. But as a tax-paying American, I can't help but chuckle. He obviously thought his "status" made him above the law and exempt from having to pay taxes. He even rejected a plea bargin so that he could go on the Today show and act like a moron. So, yeah... he deserves it. Everyone has to pay taxes, even the rich. :p

24. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

The difference between me not paying taxes on a $50 I get for christmas and not paying taxes on a $1,000,000 prize is quite a large jump.

25. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

We consider perjury to be pretty major.