Survivor Type

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by lmalave, May 2, 2003.

1. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It seems like an 'armless act of bravery in the face of certain doom!

but why is he smiling about it so much ?

[​IMG]

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

'survivor type' is easily one of his most disgusting stories. also one of his best. Reminds me a little of Geralds Game too, with the impromptu surgical release from captivity... This is a little more intensive tho...

Plus there was no guy with a necklace of *****es...

what was the topic? :)

pnw

4. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

...cold roast beef...cold roast beef...

Hehe. ;)

Yeah, I find that King's best stories aren't the ones with supernatural monsters. The stories where humans are the monsters are infinitely creepier.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

True, with the exception of the Dark Tower series... with which i'm obsessed... yep, i'm one of those fans :) Are you a fan? I've been trying to find someone, ANYONE as into them as me... the ties with the rest of the books are superb, and supposedly ALL of his books will be tied together by his final book (next year?)

pnw

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Guilty as charged, I'm always a bit careful who I talk about Kings work to, I get a bit geeky about it, DT is easily his best work, he reckons that this convergence of ideas and themes began spontaneously and he's been shaping it in the last few years, I can't wait to see what he does next, except I'm afraid he's going to kill Roland befor the end of the tale...:eek:

I think we'll see Ted from Hearts in Atlantis again as well, being as he's the best Breaker and all.

I have a feeling that the Crimson King will turn out to be Randall Flagg, Leland Gaunt and Christine rolled into one:D

Well, there's a thread well and truly hijacked, creepy story.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Leland Gaunt. I had almost forgotten about one of my favorite villians. Wonder how he will come into play?

are you as curious as I am about the Green Man? He was mentioned in like one line of Insomnia, not even a DT book-- just a glimpse of what's to come i guess :)

Ted will definitely be back, he'll probably die but it will be very valliant. I, too, wonder about Roland's chance of survival-- it's fairly obvious that he'll die by the end of the series, but will he finish his long quest? Perhaps Ake (hehe) and Oy are the ones that are really supposed to reach the Tower...

I'm just as geeky about them-- My friends are sick of my trying to get them to read DT, since you really have to read most of his other works to understand it truely...

Okay, the thread's been hijacked, as soon as other people start commenting on the actual story i'll stop ;)

pnw

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Insomnia! I'd completely forgotten the references in that, one of my favourites too. The more you think about it the more instances come to mind, its almost historical revision, but after reading W and G I re-read the stand and got loads of reasonance about the DT series from it...

I'm sure that's what King was talking about.

I'm really sorry he's thinking of quitting, can't see it happening myself, but it seems more and more likely.

Any takers on the original story yet?

9. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Re: It seems like an 'armless act of bravery in the face of certain doom!

It's probably a photo from file, when he still had his arm. I am positive he was not smiling when they found him...