Suse 10 on a powerbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by floyde, Oct 26, 2005.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Does anyone know if the ppc version of Open Suse 10 has drivers for Apple hardware (i.e. a powerbook)? Or is it just for fancy IBM servers and such? thanks

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Being that the site you linked to has PPC downloads, then I'll say it will work. However, Gentoo is my favorite distro of linux (and IMO the best) for both x86 and ppc. The powerbook is definitely supported by Gentoo (except for the airport extreme, which no distro really fully supports yet). You should look into it.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I concur..

However, I seriously doubt they have drivers for anything fancy.. like say.. and AirPort Extreme wifi card.

4. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Read POWER@SUSE for more info.
    It should also run on Apple hardware, but I don't know how well. I've had success with Ubuntu but, in general, the various distros share the same hardware support (though sometimes it can be harder/easier to get it working).

As mentioned; No AirPort.... you'll need to use the wire for any networking.

5. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

I tried it once... The installation seemed like too much work, so I quit:eek:
    I'm not such a big fan of Suse, but I'm really interested in Mono right now. Since Novell is behind both Mono and Suse, I thought it would be the best way to try it. But I guess I can get the latest Monodevelop running with the help of Gentoo's portage?

6. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

No problem there, I only want it for experimental purposes. I'll still be using OS X for my main computing needs ;)

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Yup, Portage have the newest MonoDevelop (0.8). I suppose SUSE whould too, but I haven't checked. Mono is pretty nice, and I actually like C# despite it being a MS thing.

Gentoo is very nice when you get it set up. It's just..... dull to, uhm, set up in the first place. After that it's smooth sailing.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you use a stage 3 tar it is pretty easy. A stage 1 takes me the good part of a day. I can install a stage 3 in about a 1/2 hour.

9. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Cheater.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

:D

My personal pc and powerbook have stage 1's. I had to quickly set up linux on a couple of machine and a stage 3 was the obvious choice. It's nice to have options.

11. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

hmm... where could I get one of those?

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Almost every Gentoo download mirror should have them.

Edit:
    The newest one should be under /releases/ppc/2005.1/stages

13. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Cool:) , I guess I'll give it another try then. I'm a bit confused though. Does the universal install cd have the tars for all the stages? or do I have to download them separately? I'm not a big fan of network install...

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm pretty sure that the LiveCD has all 3 tarballs. Don't quote me on that though. I really would recomend you to do a network install unless you have dial-up. You'll get a more up to date system. Otherwise, you'll have to 'emerge -u world' after to update the entire system. It can be a very long process.