Suspect arrested for Ipswich prostitute murders - time to legalise?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Queso macrumors G4

According to the BBC, a 37-year old man from Felixstowe has been arrested in connection with the murders of five prostitutes in Ipswich over the past few weeks.

Amongst calls for licensed brothels to be opened for the protection of the women involved, Constitutional Affairs Minister Harriet Harman has rather predictably called for the law against the women's customers to be tightened. According to Sunday's Observer newspaper, Downing Street ensured that a plan to get prostitutes off the streets and into a safer environment was dropped, fearing that the Bliar Government would get negative publicity.

How many more women need to die before this country realises that this isn't something that can be brushed under the carpet? Things cannot go on the way they are.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The current laws regarding prostitution and support offered to the women are obviously not working. You will never remove prostitution, so surely the government should do all that it can to make it safer.

For example, by police 'moving on' prostitutes and forcing the women to spread out around the red light district, surely they're just removing any 'safety in numbers' that they might have?

Then there is the lack of any real support to drug addicts and their rehabilitation. Plus the stigma associated to prostitutes. It has annoyed me how the press has nearly always reported it has being five 'murdered prostitutes', and not five 'women'.

I think that you're probably right about legalising prostitution (and I would argue that drugs need to be legalised and controlled), but which mainstream political party or politician is brave enough to probably end their career by actively supporting it?

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I think prostitution (and most crime) stems from drug abuse.

Stop the drugs, stop the prostitution/crimes.

How you stop the drugs is really question. If you legalise it then its up to the user if they want to risk their lives for a 15 minute high. One benefit is the government can tax the hell out of drugs like they do cigs (and beer :mad: ) and also the police wont be as overworked (in theory).

Alcohol is a drug why is that legal?

Prohibition in 20's America is a good example. Alcohol was legal and everything was 'ok' once it was banned all hell broke lose with crime syndicates popping up all over the place. Once it was made legal again everything was back to normal.

My point is, there is a load of crime related to drugs because drugs are illegal. Make them legal and crime would diminish and we would all be a bit safer.

Another example although slightly obscure is the 24 hours drinking laws in England. When there were certain hours for drinking there was a lot of trouble with drunken idiots cramming drink into a certain timeframe, now with 24 hour licensing we have more time to drink and so people are not getting as wasted and causing as much trouble.

Prostitution will never go away even with legalised drugs. However if you have places for the hookers to go and be safe then the less crime we will see.

After waffling on my point is if you let people have what they want when they want the less trouble you will have.

With regards to drug addiction the money gained from tax on the drugs can go towards helping people who want to give up.

4. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

We'll never stop drug abuse, but by dramatically increasing the number of rehab places and providing addicts with a real support network we can at least get people back on their feet if they do fall into it. The chances these days of getting a rehab place are so tiny that once you become dependent, your life is completely ruined by the time the bureaucracy gets round to you, if they ever do.

5. stillwater macrumors regular

I think prostitution exists because there's a market for it.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Hard working people who dont take drugs will end up paying for these new rehab centres which i dont agree with. The drug users should pay for them from the tax on legalised drugs.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And until then, do we just leave them to their own devices?

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

They chose that life.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

10. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Hard working people are already paying for the current situation, through insurance payouts for burglaries and increased policing/prison costs. Getting people off drugs is expensive but will pay for itself by allowing money to be saved elsewhere.

People may choose at first to take drugs. They don't choose to become an addict.

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thats sort of what I said :p

They knew the risks when they took em. ;)

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Please. People who choose to use physically addictive drugs CHOOSE to be addicts. I'm sick of people brushing off personal responsibility when a chemical addiction becomes involved.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

So, what's your plan on how to deal with addictive drugs?

14. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Put the users into the newly built rehab centres (built with money from legalised drugs taxes) If they dont 'stay' in rehab its their problem.

15. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Correct, but considering how many people take them every weekend and don't become addicts, it's safe to assume they thought the odds were in their favour.

That's almost like saying someone who smokes shouldn't get cancer treatment if they suddenly need it. Humans f**k up all the time. What I'm saying is there are large numbers of drug addicts who want to get off their particular substance but need help doing so, and that help is not currently there. Why kick someone back down when they are begging you for a hand up?

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Any drug can be addictive. Some more so than others.

If drugs were legalised and taxed the money would be there to help them. And educate people thinking of taking drugs about the effects.

I'm going to stop now to avoid getting into a full blown argument. Thats not my objective, its just that the answers are easy but nothing is being done about and it ****** me off.

17. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I didn't say they shouldn't get help. I'm just saying it was their choice to get addicted when you said it wasn't.

I also think people use substances more rashly and unsafely when they're illegal. Legalizing, taxing and regulating the softer drugs at least would help ease some of the crime attached to drug use and would certainly free up some space in our prisons (now rapidly filling with pot sellers who really aren't that big a deal).

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Looks like through different avenues we're all reaching the same conclusion.

Legalization. Regulation.

19. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

I don't disagree, although I get the impression that Mr. Brown would tax it well above the current street price which wouldn't change the current situation much. :(

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I've gone on about this ad infinitum,prescribe heroin to addicts in a controlled environment (as in Holland and Switzerland and as was done in the UK in the 50's and 60's) and the problem will diminish over time.Anyone who thinks people have any control over the use of heroin is sadly deluded,most addicts are people who've had the s*it kicked out of them by our loving caring capitalist system.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

agreed. the sex industry is huge, and pay-for-sex is just a part of it. i think a discussion about legalisation of prostitution, which i'd probably support, is wholely separate from a discussion about legalisation of drugs.

22. Lau Guest

I thought there were some interesting comments here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/6183491.stm.

I'm for legalisation of prostitution and drugs in theory, but some of the comments did make me think about how it isn't necessarily that simple.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's not that simple, in that legalization of prostitution would not eliminate the illegal trade. but i think it would lessen it, probably to a great amount.

24. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

How pessimistic! That's assuming the worst in human nature not to improve their own lives...

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Particularly given the German example, where legalizing prostitution means that women who are collecting unemployment can be (and have been) told their benefits will be terminated unless they accept prostitution as a job (when no other suitable job can be found).