Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Guys I had to post this. In iOS 10 as well all know Slide toUnlock is gone. We all must hit the Touch ID finger print scanner each time. Now with the new 2016 MacBook Pros there is a Finger Print scanner on the Power button. I'll ask the question this way is it not obvious what Apple is doing ? Imagine if your TV or Home computer or Car did this ?

And I know while they claim that Touch ID is not being used IMO that's legal talk for its being passively used in some ways Apple knows it's the same finger print Enrolled or not into Touch ID that's unlocking an iPhone or now Powering on a MacBook Pro.

Here's the kicker. If it was optional I couldn't care less but Apple makes it so obvious that we are Forced to use it. We have zero option. There's no way around not pressing the power button.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Fingerprints are stored in an isolated part of the hardware (secure enclave) which cannot communicate anything more than an encryption key to other hardware. There is no way to communicate your fingerprint outside of the system itself, and if for some reason you refuse to believe this, well maybe Apple isn't for you.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If it was optional I couldn't care less but Apple makes it so obvious that we are Forced to use it

Nothing I saw made me think it was mandatory. It appears you can hit the button just like you do the power button now then enter your password to login. Just don't register any fingerprints in TouchID and it will login and work just like it does now.

Same as your iPhone. TouchID is optional.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmtaylor

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Give me a break. Apple is the biggest proponent of privacy out there, but if you're too paranoid to see straight, then turn the feature off and don't use it. But the most likely scenario is you're just being a troll and contributing to the massive amounts of noise that has descended upon this forum in the last 24 hours.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
Guys I had to post this. In iOS 10 as well all know Slide toUnlock is gone. We all must hit the Touch ID finger print scanner each time. Now with the new 2016 MacBook Pros there is a Finger Print scanner on the Power button. I'll ask the question this way is it not obvious what Apple is doing ? Imagine if your TV or Home computer or Car did this ?

And I know while they claim that Touch ID is not being used IMO that's legal talk for its being passively used in some ways Apple knows it's the same finger print Enrolled or not into Touch ID that's unlocking an iPhone or now Powering on a MacBook Pro.

Here's the kicker. If it was optional I couldn't care less but Apple makes it so obvious that we are Forced to use it. We have zero option. There's no way around not pressing the power button.

WUT??

Dude no one is forcing you to use your fingerprint on either iOS or Mac devices. If you're the paranoid type then go ahead and never setup Touch ID. Also your fingerprint isn't synced across devices. A hash of your fingerprint data is stored in the secure enclave on each device, so you have to enter your finger on each device.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.