Suspicious AppleCare email

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shikimo, Apr 4, 2007.

1. shikimo macrumors 6502

I received the email below last week, allegedly from Apple, asking about my recent AppleCare customer service experience. The thing is, I don't have an active AppleCare account, and even when I did I never once had occasion to call them. Furthermore, my AC expired right about the time I sold the eMac to which it was registered (this was last spring/summer).

Needless to say, I didn't input any information. Does anybody have any idea how or why this email could have been generated, and whether or not it could be some sort of scam? Probably just a mistake in the AppleCare database, but I thought I would post nonetheless.

Dear Apple Customer:

Apple would love to get your feedback regarding the last agent you
    spoke with on your recent call to Apple support.

Your perspective is very important to Apple and the AppleCare team. All
    information you provide will be treated as confidential and will be
    used solely to improve our support programs and product offerings.

To complete this web survey, simply click on the web address (URL)
    displayed below or copy and paste the entire web address into the address
    field of your web browser.

http://abs.apple.com/ssurvey/survey.html?id=9274C48

We appreciate your taking the time to let us know how well we are
    meeting your expectations.

Sincerely,

AppleCare Service and Support

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i get these sometimes - they are ok to do - they never ask for any personal details like e-mail credit card numbers or such.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Nope... I've done this before. A week later or so, sometimes I'll get a voucher/coupon in my email.

Look at the URL. It's from Apple.com. It doesn't reroute you to some funky IP address.
    Just customer surveys to see if apple can improve and whotsits.

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

It is legit. It is Apple's url in any event, I suppose that someone at Apple could have hijacked the site, but that would be a real inside job! :eek:

5. shikimo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it seemed harmless...but isn't it a little weird that my email shouldn't even be in the active database of AppleCare customers? I mean, I've NEVER called AppleCare.

6. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

Steve is watching you. didnt you get the memo? :p

7. EnigmaPrime macrumors newbie

I have never had a applecare account, I have never called applecare & I got the same email to rate a recent call I made to applecare.

My problem is I recently had a iphone 3g stolen & we all know at&t & apple don't lift a finger & allow stolen phones to be used.

So I'm worried since that email is connected to my itunes account & in particular that phones serial number, is it possible that the person who stole my phone called apple care?

I know obviously my account is safe as my password is protected, I'm just curious to why I would receive a email?

8. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

if it wasnt you it was probably someone else or they mismatched a product/serial ... but more likely the person you sold your system to had a recent apple service appointment.
    theyre usually not random and are tied to something specific (serial, name, machine etc)

but all in all its legit