SUV Observation

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I have noticed lately on the road there seem to be more women driving SUVs than men. Every time I see a Suberban, Yukon/Tahoe, Explorer, MDX, XC90, 4Runner, etc its usually a women. I also have seen more men driving Minivans lately. Is the Soccer Moms new choice of vehicle a Suberban rather than a Dodge Caravan.

2. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

mxpiazza

haha, i dont think there is too much of a correlation, other than the fact that SUVs right now are what minivans were in the 90's, there are just a lot more of them on the road, gas guzzling or not..

3. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

Well here in NJ, EVERYONE has SUVs. They are such rude drivers, forcing you off the road, cutting you off, etc. Im in a tiny Toyota Corolla and they really think they own the road.

As far as the people driving them, I think its pretty even between men and women.

4. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I live in CT and there are tons of them too. Everyone in my neighborhood has at least one SUV. When I'm in my land rover I get cut of by people in smaller cars often on the highway- usually expensive cars like today an Audi A6.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Sounds like all drivers here in California :eek: ;) But really, from my driving experience, it's not just SUV drivers but also drivers with those muscle cars that think the speed limit doesn't apply to them. It's really hard to go the speed limit here when you look in your review mirror and seeing these cars coming up 100MPH behind you. I'm not saying ALL people who have SUVs and muscle cars are like that though.

6. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

Landrover eh? How many gallons to the mile does that get ;-)

I can get 45 mpg in my corolla. (its not a hybrid)

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Try this: next time you see a giant SUV making like she's gonna move into your lane without signalling, don't let her in.

People drive the way they do because they can get away with it. Other people *let* them. Do you really think some soccermom is gonna bang up her $40,000 Tahoe by hitting you? Hell no, just stand your ground.

And say she does knock you. Who's gonna flip, you or her? Who's insurance is gonna skyrocket, yours or hers? "Yes officer, I was driving in my lane, minding my own business when this SUV decides it wants over, doesn't signal, just moves, and hits me. I'm sorry she rolled her car, but if she had just turned on her signal, I would've known to let her in."

Don't let these *******s intimidate you. If a Suburban starts moving into your lane while you're still in it and you know they can see you, don't budge an inch. They'll back down. Drive like your car is just as big as theirs and they won't know what to do with you.

I live in Denver, the capital of SUV-land. I drive an '04 Mazda3, and I don't let anyone intimidate me on the road. It only encourages them.

Now if it's an 18-wheeler, get the **** out of the way. Same rules don't apply. But some yuppie wannabe in a Hummer is just as dickless as his (or her) car. Don't be afraid of these *******s.

Afterthought: The corollary to this is you also have to drive like you know what you're doing. Not just within the law, but in addition to it. Don't change lanes (even if you signalled) if there's someone coming up behind you in that lane that's gonna have to slam on his brakes to keep from rear-ending you. Don't ride the left lane, even if you're doing the speed limit (or faster!). Use your signals. And please, plan ahead. I've seen way too many morons cut across four lanes of traffic to make an exit they should've been ready for 1/4 mile ago.

8. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

mxpiazza

yeah, i mean, you can only be so hard in a sub-compact...

9. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

My 2003 Range Rover get 14mpg on average (4.4L engine)
    My 2001 Range Rover gets 13mpg average (4.6L engine)
    My E320 CDi (diesel) gets around 30mpg avg, over 35mpg on the highway- not bad for a fairly large car.

My 2003 Range Rover does better on the highway than my 2001. I only use my 2001 in bad weather or doing "dirty tasks". I'm probably going to sell it soon :((I reallty love that car but I don't really need a 3rd car).

-------------
    Speaking of rude or what ever you want to call it drivers, today on the highway I saw a Jaguar XJR going at least 90 if I was going 70. My friend also got rear ended by a lady in BMW and BMW lady drove off. When the police caught up the BMW driver said she didn't know she had hit anything. My friend got rear ended hard enough to spin a stationary Acura TL almost 180deg. Also the BMW was leaking fluids and had part of the Acura's bumper stuck on it.

-----
    If I get a new Range Rover (SuperCharged)!! it will have a 400hp Jaguar V8 in her. I went to the Land Rover dealership and they had 1 silver one but I didn't look at it but I have driven one before and I loved it. My land rover dealership is pretty skimpy- 3 Range Rovers, 6 LR3s, 5 Freelanders, A couple used Disoveries and a few used freelanders, and 2 used jaguars, a few used lexuses, and thats pretty much it. They have a ton of space but like 25 cars for sale. I'm going to wait for the RR Sport to come out because I want to see it in person- its $34,000 less.

10. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

Thanatoast,

Your right, I really should be more aggressive about not letting people in. I am a very good/experianced driver though, which is rare here in Jersey ( been driving for 6 years, no accidents, no tickets, always play it safe, and always use directionals).

But here youd be surprised. They really look like they will hit you, because they just keep coming over in your lane, even if you hold the horn down.

11. mac-er macrumors 65816

She may flip her SUV, but you'll be dead.
    I think driver's of cars hit by SUVs are 2 or 3 times more likely to die than if they were hit by a car.

I see many more women driving SUVs as personal vehicles (while it seems most of the men drive them for business or work). I think the news articles I have seen about this say the women feel safer in them.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i drive a '95 Toyota Tercel, two door, people dont mess with me on the roads for two reasons, i obey the rules for the most part, except perhaps speed limit, but there are plenty of people going faster than me too so its not like im going 90mph all the time or anything like that, but i will admit to doing a bit over, but anyways, another reason people don't mess with me is because i don't take crap from drivers, people dont cut me off because i won't let them, drivers are either crazy or stupid here in chicago and i think its a bit of both... i try not to drive when possible though

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think you understand what it feels like to drive what is essentially a golf cart with power windows. :p

When the trains coming, I move. Not everyone knows how to drive. Its precautionary driving. Sometimes they see you and don't care, and sometimes they DON'T see you.

I don't care whether their insurance pays for all damages. I don't want to get hurt, and I don't want the hassle of getting my car fixed at all.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh, and when an SUV signals to get into my lane, I don't usually let them. :p

Call me an a**hole all you want, but I don't want to see a single person in an SUV trying to shove their way in.

I also don't like not being able to see the road in front of me. Driving behind an SUV is like driving blind sometimes.

15. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

I concur

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Nice idea, but not so easy. I spend my rush hours driving through Providence and usually have to cut across 3 lanes of traffic to get to my exit because it's a left hand exit that's about a third of a mile from a right hand merge!

In all, I'm always surprised by how respectful drivers are in New England cities (Hartford, Providence, even Boston). There seems to be a common "Go ahead and merge into my lane. Every lane is the wrong lane, anyway ..." king of feeling ...

17. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'll get behind you are turn on my highbeam Xenons- Very annoying :)

What about tractor trialers, garbage trucks, dumptrucks, oil trucks, box trucks, minvans, and pickup trucks?

18. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

Hehe, yeah thats the other thing, since the SUVs are higher, their lights are right in my eyes from the rearview and side mirrors. If you dont move over when they want you to, they start flashing their lights at you. I could unserstand doing that if you were keeping the left lane to yourself. But they do it because they are impatient and want to go 90mph

19. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I typically find that most CT and MA drivers are respectful. I hate how sometimes on CT highways people are alwaly are constantly changing lanes and everyones driving 80mph. Its like oh my god you were just in that lane.

20. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I don't want to be a sexist. But as an out-side sales person, I am out on the roads most of the day driving a car. The most leathal combo is: women, SUV (a false sense of security), and cell phone. If I see them all in one package, I will pass that ****er ASAP so that a menace is behind me (not in front of me). Even though those SUVs look tough on the outside, if they flip, they are a death trap. A higher center of gravity means more proclivity to turn over. I think 70% or more those people who drive SUV do not really need that type of vehicle except for the false sense of security or to compensate whatever is missing in male drivers.

21. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I don't think there are more women SUV drivers on the road. I think you focus your attention in looking out for such drivers that it skews your perception.

Such like when you buy a new car, you start noticing other drivers with the same car as yours.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wagons are just as good as SUVs, in my opinion. Sure, they don't have the ground clearance of an SUV, but for what people usually say they need an SUV for (ie: carrying stuff), a wagon is just as roomy as a wagon in terms of useful space, and neither is as roomy as a minivan or real van.

I don't like those in front of me, either. I was just pointing out why I don't let SUVs get in front of me. I will make an exception for trucks and vans on the road that are obviously doing something that warrants driving a car that big. But if I do see a single lady driving an SUV with no other passengers, I don't let them in.

And about mobile phones and women drivers + SUVs, I don't think its sexist when a statement bears some generalized truth. People are just too PC nowadays.

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i definitely argee with your last comment....

but both men and women are horrible drivers when it comes to their cell phones, a new law was just passed that makes it illegal and ticketable when you use a cell phone while driving unless it is through a hands-free unit (for Chicago at least) and still i see people driving with thier units weged between their shoulder and head....great driving with your head tilted like that...

24. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'm not focusing my attension on looking out for female drivers- I look at the SUV beside me and its a women driving. I consider myself a pretty oberservant driver and I saw more women driving SUVs. Many of the Soccer Moms in my neighborhood drive used to drive a Saab or a Volvo but now have a Denali or a Toureg. It just seems a few years ago most SUV drivers were males. My sister used to have a BMW and now she has a Lexus GX470. My Cousin used to have a Jetta now she has a 4Runner. My other cousin used to have a Maxima, now she has a Acura MDX. My friend used to have a Volvo S70 and now she has a Lexus RX330. My niece had a pontiac but traded in for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Another Aunt had a mercedes E320 but decided to get the ML430. A nurse that works at the hospital had a Honda Accord but traded it in for a ford explorer.

I'm not really looking out for female drivers I just notice it.

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree! I've asked the women I personally know, and they're interested in SUV's because they feel they themselves are short and the extra height of the SUV would help them drive better... :rolleyes: Tell that to the woman driving an suv who full-on backed into my boyfriend's car going at least 10mph. Geeze, can you imagine if there had been a toddler walking by?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.