SUVs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by EJBasile, May 26, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Ok well everyone seems to be against SUVs here. Is there anyone out there that drives an SUV. (LOL for you people who strongly dislike SUVs i know someone who commutes from Northern CT to boston a couple times a week driving a NISSAN PATHFINDER)

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with cars.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

An unhealthy obsession with cars. :confused:

Wouldn't that be Porsche and BMW owners?

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

SUVs are problematic because many people use them as grossly oversized station wagons/mini-vans, furthermore the size of the modern SUV the GMC Denali or the GM H2 are so massive that they can cause serious injury to the occupants of smaller cars.
    However, I don't have a problem with all SUVs or all SUV drivers, just the careless and dangerous drivers who gave up their Volvo for a GMC Jimmy. Soccer moms on their cells for example.
    I have a Jeep CJ-7 and a Ford Focus SVT; cars kick ass.

6. BaDBoY macrumors member

7. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Another pair of words:

Who cares?

Screw the people after us! ;)

I love my fast car and will probably own an SUV later on in my life. You only live once!

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I hope you were being facetious.
    Otherwise I would mention our dependence on Mid-East oil, the possibility that enough CO2 in the air will cause a green-house affect and melt the ice-caps thereby changing the 'Great Conveyer' and the world's major weather patterns and turning Europe into an ice-cube while the midwestern United States swelters and crops begin to fail. By the way, the weather affects in 'The Day After Tomorrow' could happen just not suddenly and all at once.
    We need a new economy based on something besides fossil fuels.
    And the fact that my Jeep CJ-7, built in 1980 using an engine design from the 60s, gets 16mpg while a brand-new SUV gets 14-24 is just depressing.

Also, you live multiple times you just can't tell anyone when you come back as a sea-slug. Natch.

9. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I drive and SUV and am proud of it. Yep, its a gas guzzeling Chevy Tahoe. And if I didnt own it, i would have me a Audi S4. As far as me singlehandedly killing the earth - Ha! Like me driving a car would make any difference.
    You wanna complain about something thats killin the earth, what about all these factorys across the US that are spewing out tons and tons of pollutants every day. See, they have very limited regulations on what they put out, because our great President got rid of the bill that would have regulated all this. I dont remember the exact details, sorry. But I'm sure its out there somewhere.
    Well, I'm off to Exxon to pump 50 dollars worth of gas into my Tank.
    :D

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, as noted in the car thread, I drive a 1976 volvo wagon. While not technicallly a SUV, by its' size and weight, it might qualify. It does manage about 21/28, which isn't bad for a 28 year-old vehicle. I guess I am a recycler of vehicles as I have never owned a car built past 1985, ad find 70's european cars to be beyond compare...dependable, economical, simple and cool looking. I support SUVs if they are used off-road or for hauling space, but otherwise, it seems unnecessary...

11. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet! kill the planet!

yay!

12. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

people like you get pushed to the front of the line for hell.

13. dopefiend macrumors 6502

What is this "hell" you talk about? :p

14. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

15. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I think all you see are new ways to be a yuppie
    ;) :D

16. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Ya maybe if *only you* quit driving an SUV (or what ever gas guzzling beast for that matter) it wouldn't make a difference. But on the other hand if everyone took a little more interest in the 'good stewardship' side of things and cleaned up their act, I think it could make a pretty big difference.

Avoiding accepting responsibility on the grounds that you are not the only one who is being irresponsible is a HUGE problem and a sorry excuse.

As for killing the earth, I was born at a time when it was in bad enough shape, I sure hope collective actions can improve it before I have to hand it off to the next generation.

Apologies for unloading on you in particular. You're right the problem isn't only yours, we all have responsibility. (though some are certainly making more of an effort than others)

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Up front, let me say that I am for alternative fuels and non oil dependence. To me in this day and age we have not gone far enough.

I also believe that your comment rings true.

After Mount St. Helens blew back in the early 80's, I was on recon mission in a Huey to fly up to the base of the mountain. We landed fairly close. The ground/ash was still warm. I stuck my fingers into the ash, and at the 2.5-3 inch point it got hot. So yes, we were very close.

I remember thinking that we had been flying over the moon. The terrain was baren. The baren land stretched for miles and miles around Mount St. Helens. Total devastation and the ash was everywhere. And Mount Penotubo (SP?) was much much worse.

So I tend to agree that man's polution is fairly minor to mother nature and her creations.

That is not to say I am for poluting the Earth. I am sure that mankind can do better. Just don't think that it is as bad as all the environmentalists would have one believe.

Sushi

18. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

an SUV is in my future ...

My wife and I are planning for children in the next year, which should roughly coincide with the death of our aging 1989 Mazda. And We're going to replace it with one of those hybrid SUVs Ford recently announced. In her opinion, we'll need the extra room; and the hybrid engine would be better than a true V-6 or V-8.

And that's true. But my argument was: why pretend that a "fuel efficient" hybrid SUV is superior to a 5-door Pirus. We're only planning for one kid. And the dog can sit in the hatch area. :) My argument didn't matter so much. She won.

Anyway, we had pretty much the same argument I'm reading here. And it got me thinking. Each of us makes choices about the level we want to pollute or conserve (however you want to look at it. Is the glass half full or half empty?). And once we make that choice for ourselves, we tend to condemn those who’ve make more lax choices.

But it's all a rationalization. Even with the Pirus, we'd still be polluting. For that matter, the computer I'm typing on uses energy, which pollutes. But it's all what we decide to personally accept. My wife's need for space outweighed her urge to conserve. My irrational need to share this story overweighed my urge to cut off the computer (or write the press release I need to do :D ).

All this is to say that while I agree with dvdh's assertion that we all have to do our part. And some of us will have to make up for the indiscretions of others. And I'm sure that there's some guy in Zambia that doesn't even have a car in his village that will help make up for mine.

So, when we replace our other car, we'll get a te-niny hybrid to replace it. It's all very Zen.

19. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

The problem is too many people that own SUVs DON'T NEED THEM. Sorry, but I'm tired of seeing all these "soccer moms" driving down the road in their Hummers while talking on their cell phones. It's dangerous and totally unnecessary. Face it, most people (men or women) that own Hummers (or any *really* large SUV) own them so they can say "I drive a Hummer," not because they need one (aka "small penis syndrome").

If you have a valid reason for owning an SUV, fine. Otherwise, grow up and get a normal sized car.

20. Dros macrumors 6502

People can drive what they want to drive. When I see someone driving a SUV that doesn't need to, I just think, "Sucker!". When you buy a car, the car manufacturer makes about $1,000 profit. When you buy a SUV, the company makes $10,000 profit. That means you are paying an extra $10,000 over value. What do you get for that $10,000? Usually, a truck frame giving a mushy ride, cheap, crappy bumpers and every other cost-cutting measure in the book. Then you pump in $50 bucks when you stop for gas, can't park without moving back and forth like a fool several times, and then end up running over your dog because you have a huge blind spot in the back corner.

I've got a cheap 1991 Civic 5 door, which gets 40 mpg, still has low emissions, never had any service, and cost me a total of $6500 (including gas) over the last 10 years. Some people will have bought 2 SUVs in that span, with a total cost of ownership around $70,000. No wonder I've got a nice house almost paid off!

As for "only living once"... ever merge onto a highway in a Civic hatchback? People pay good money for that kind of thrill!

21. Penman macrumors regular

Have you ever sat in the back of a Hummer? An H1 is cramped due to the big lump that's supposed to contain military electronics and the H2's are tiny (I'm over 6'3" but the vehicle's huge). The back of my Honda Civic offers equivalent legroom (it's a Hybrid too).

If you have a need of an H1 I'm sorry about how your life's going but don't object to the vehicle. If you have an H2 though - just buy the Suburban (which shares the drivetrain) and stop pretending that you're tough in a 'military' vehicle the military don't actually use.

On that note a friend of mine is just back from Iraq. He's a tough guy who gets to drive around LA with racks of Machine guns in the back of his Monte Carlo. He said that the H1's are terrible and the soldiers hate them. The tires blow all the time and they offer so little protection the first thing they do is take the doors off. Running from the vehicle is safer that sitting behind its flimsy door. The vehicle of choice? anything that's not an SUV (it's like wearing a target) or a Land Rover if they must.

If you need ground clearance and 4WD get a Subaru.

22. BaDBoY macrumors member

well said! :p

I feel the same... its like watching a granny driving down the freeway on the cell phone, driving a honda pilot or an escalade... DRIVING DOWN THE FREE WAY AT 60 MPH GAHHHH... it drives me crazy sometimes

23. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Kind of off topic, but I saw a bumper sticker the other day that made me smile.
    "Could you drive better if I shoved that cell phone up your ASS?"

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

greetings, SUVs thread. welcome to the Political Discussions & War Discussion area. this is, of course, just a brief stopover on your way to Wasteland. enjoy your stay.

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Front page story today, Los Angeles Times:
    They give statistics based on monthly sales stats to show that, since a year ago, large SUV sales are down. Ford Expedition down 34%, Lincoln Navigator down 25%, Chevy Suburban down 21%. Overall SUV sales are up 2.5% because the smaller SUVs sales are up: Saturn Vue up 59%, Chevy Blazer up 55%, Ford Escape up 49%.