SW Question from a recent Mac buyer...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cohiba, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Cohiba macrumors member

Cohiba

I've had my Mac now for 3 months and absolutley love it (even bought some stock)!!!

I'm looking for some SW that will help me save/backup basic type stuff ie: entourage emails & address', word & excel doc's, and iTunes...

I've looked into the .Mac, but I'm looking for something that I can do quickly & efficiently.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Retrospect from Dantz is the best but there are others like Stuffit, which say that they can back up to DVD and CD.

4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

there's always tar, compress, and Applescript ;)

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Just get an external HD and drag your Home folder to it every now and then and call it a backup ;P

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

GUIfied backups

If you want have something semi-professional, and will back up to a variety of media (hard drives, CDs, DVDs, tape, etc), definitely look into Dantz's Retrospect. $$$$
    If you want something that will back up to removable media, such as CDs and DVDs, then Deja Vu comes with Toast 6. $$$
    If you buy a LaCie external hard drive, it comes with SilverKeeper, which isn't bad at all. HD: $$$, Silverlining: Free
    If you already have another HD (internal or external), and you have Panther, you can use Restore (part of Disk Utility).
    Or, my own personal favorite, Carbon Copy Cloner. It's donationware and does a great job. Just use it to clone when you're logged in as root for best results.

edit: Changed Silverlining to SilverKeeper (the proper name). Thanks for reminding me wPod!

7. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I have an old DELL laptop that still works fine, just a bit slow (PII-500mhz) and I use the HDD on it as my back up storage unit. It's part of the wireless network in my house. I just the appropriate folders to it and go have a cup of tea while the files zoom around my head on their way to my homemade "backup" unit.

8. coconn06 macrumors regular

Though maybe not the easiest, a great way to backup is using the free, open source rsync utility (look for RsyncX for Mac OS X). You can use it to backup to a local volume (such as an external HD) or a network volume (such as another computer on your network, or a HD attached to that computer). It does a good job of preserving file metadata, like permissions and ownership, and you can schedule it in your /etc/crontab file.

I've been using it to backup to my iPod until I get/need an external FW HD.

See this link which instructions on how to do it.

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i would say dantz retrospect is best in combination with any sort of media or external drive. i personally use silverkeeper (which is free) because i dont like to pay for software (poor college student) i use silverkeeper with an external harddrive that i got on a good deal from frys. external hard drives are usually the fastest.

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Does anyone know anything about the Iomega Rev drive that just came out?
    Around $350 or so, uses 35/90GB removable "hard drive" disks, and ships with Retrospect. I think I recall reading somewhere that they were also looking ahead to a larger format that uses the same drive?

anyone? Bueller?