Swap audio track without re-encoding?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Transporteur, Apr 26, 2010.

1. macrumors 68030

Nov 30, 2008
    Hi there!

Is it possible to change the audio track of a video file without the need of re-encoding it (for example with HandBrake)?

Would save me a lot of time because I accidentally ripped all my King of Queens DVDs with the german track first and english as second.
    Now when I'm watching with Plex I have to change the track for each file, which is kind of annoying.

2. macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2004
    Try Metadata Hootenanny. There is a button that looks like railroad tracks that opens a list of tracks - video, chapter, german, english, etc. From there you can delete the german track, or activate the english track and deactivate the german track. I have not done this but I think it should work.
  3. macrumors 6502

Billy Boo Bob

Jun 6, 2005
    Dark Side Of The Moon
    If you open them with QT Pro (on Snow Leopard it needs to be QT Player 7, the old style player). You can delete the track you want (Command-J to show tracks) and save it. It will be a .mov container, but it won't re-encode anything. I would think that Plex would play a .mov container, eh?
  4. macrumors 68020

Mar 27, 2003