Swap opticals between Mac mini and PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by weldon, Jul 29, 2005.

1. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

Is it possible to swap the optical drives between a Mac mini and a PowerBook G4?

I've got a 12" rev.A w/ SuperDrive and I'm thinking about buying a mini with a combo drive. I only really need one SuperDrive so it could go in the mini where I would move most of the iMovie stuff I have.

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The swap is possible as the slot loading drives are a standard siz and should theoretically fit, so that shouldnt be a problem, the problems is replacing the powerbook optical is not very easy, but it is dooable so have a search on the net on how to open up and replace the powerbook optical drive and you should be on your way..

ShadOW ;)

3. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The only problem with that plan is that for all the effort of disassembling and reassembling both machines, you'll end up with a 2x DVD burner in the mini. It might be far cheaper time-wise to get a reconditioned 16x FireWire external double-layer DVD burner from LaCie.com's clearance page. I've seen them for $95 lately.

4. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Does LaCie support Apple programs? iDVD for example.

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yes, if you're talking about iDVD 5. iDVD 4 requires an easter egg to make it work with external DVD burners. Whether the LaCie external would work for double-layer iDVD 5 projects, I don't know, but single layer projects will certainly work.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

hmm that is a good question. i haven't tried my firewire dual-layer drive on an iDVD DL project.