Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Down on Copperline...
I have just purchased a 2.16 ghz MBP. I also have a 20" iMac Core Duo 2 ghz that I am going to sell. When I purchased the iMac I put a 1Gb stick in it. I believe that the ram is very much the same between the two systems. I have checked a couple of ram selling sites and thus far the only difference I can notice between the iMac specific and MBP specific ram is the part number.

So I wonder, is the ram from the imac usable in the MBP?

TIA

Oofie

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
Bay Area, CA
macaddicted said:
I have just purchased a 2.16 ghz MBP. I also have a 20" iMac Core Duo 2 ghz that I am going to sell. When I purchased the iMac I put a 1Gb stick in it. I believe that the ram is very much the same between the two systems. I have checked a couple of ram selling sites and thus far the only difference I can notice between the iMac specific and MBP specific ram is the part number.

So I wonder, is the ram from the imac usable in the MBP?

TIA

I do know that the MBP, MB and Imac share the same ram. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

unixhead

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
Upstate NY
iMac vs. MacBook ram:

I am pretty sure the MacBook requires the smaller SODIMM format, whereas the iMac uses full-size DIMMs. Thus, although it is the same kind of memory, the form factor is different. Double check on the apple site.

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
unixhead said:
I am pretty sure the MacBook requires the smaller SODIMM format, whereas the iMac uses full-size DIMMs. Thus, although it is the same kind of memory, the form factor is different. Double check on the apple site.

On Apple's web site they state that the iMac indeed uses SODIMMs, not the cheaper ones of full size. So I guess they are the same as in the MacBooks.

Edit: So the MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac all use SODIMMs PC2-5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 ram, while the Mac Mini uses the same kind but as DIMMs instead of SODIMMs. Therefore the RAM modules of MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac should be exchangable between these systems.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Temujin said:
iMac ram is NOT compatible with the MBP ram slot. The MBP ram is much smaller.
Are you sure that's true about the Intel Macs, considering the iMac is basically using a notebook processor in it?

The Apple store shows the Intel Macs use 667 DDR2 SDRAM, which is the same as the MacBook, MacBook Pro and the mini.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
this is from apple store, the rams for all apple intel are the same with exception of mac pro

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I am quite sure this is not the case.. you can see for yourself if you attempt to customised both the iMac and (say) the MBP.. notice also the pricing wouldn't add up if they are indeed the same kind of modules.

Attachments

• Untitled 2.png
    Untitled 2.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 154

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
generik said:
I am quite sure this is not the case.. you can see for yourself if you attempt to customised both the iMac and (say) the MBP.. notice also the pricing wouldn't add up if they are indeed the same kind of modules.
is that the new imac? i'm not really sure about the new imac, but at least the core duo one... well, at least according to one of the genius from the apple store

iMac 20" CD
MacBook Pro
iMac 20" C2D
iMac 24" C2D
These are links from crucial (despite their weird pricing issue, i believe their rams are good quality and right specs at the very least), and they are identicle aside from the part numbers

but you are right, the pricing does look different.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
bearbo said:
is that the new imac? i'm not really sure about the new imac, but at least the core duo one... well, at least according to one of the genius from the apple store

iMac 20" CD
MacBook Pro
iMac 20" C2D
iMac 24" C2D
These are links from crucial (despite their weird pricing issue, i believe their rams are good quality and right specs at the very least), and they are identicle aside from the part numbers

but you are right, the pricing does look different.

Hmmm... does seem strange...

I really don't see why Apple will neglect to mention that the memory modules used by the iMacs are SODIMMS if they indeed are. The prices are another telltale sign too.

I guess they really are SODIMMS

http://www.streetwise.com.au/memory_results.php?mem_id=38. The iMac is probably a cheap way to get official Apple memory for your MBP though...

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
The other theory could be that upgrade prices are only updated when the line is updated... which may well happen tomorrow if new MBPs come out then :rolleyes:

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
generik said:
The other theory could be that upgrade prices are only updated when the line is updated... which may well happen tomorrow if new MBPs come out then :rolleyes:
lol... right:p

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
generik said:
Hopefully, although the Mac mini's memory upgrade price didn't change when that line got updated the same day the C2D iMacs came out. Maybe it's a margin thing because the overall price of the minis is lower?

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
aristobrat said:
Hopefully, although the Mac mini's memory upgrade price didn't change when that line got updated the same day the C2D iMacs came out. Maybe it's a margin thing because the overall price of the minis is lower?

The price of the Mac mini memory should be lower, because it doesn't use the laptop SODIMM memory modules but rather the standard desktop DIMMs.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
2ndPath said:
The price of the Mac mini memory should be lower, because it doesn't use the laptop SODIMM memory modules but rather the standard desktop DIMMs.
that would your opinion, not apple's opinion... however, the OP is asking for what apple offers, aka apple's opinion, not yours... to not sounding offensive, the OP is asking for fact, not your opinion, and the fact is, all apple intel computers, laptop/desktop, short of mac pro, use the same memory.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
2ndPath said:
Just to beat a dead horse again and follow up to bearbo's post, I think you're confusing what the G4 mac mini uses vs. what an Intel mac mini uses. They use different types of memory.

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
aristobrat said:
Just to beat a dead horse again and follow up to bearbo's post, I think you're confusing what the G4 mac mini uses vs. what an Intel mac mini uses. They use different types of memory.

I admit, I might be wrong here, but looked it up before my post on apples technical specification pages about the iMac and the Mac mini. There they speak explicitly about SODIMMs for the iMac and about DIMMs for the Mac mini. Later on I checked back at the Apple store, they talk about SODIMMs for the Mac mini. So, I guess, their technical specification page for the Mac mini is partially outdated and provided me the wrong information.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 321
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 167

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
2ndPath said:
So, I guess, their technical specification page for the Mac mini is partially outdated and provided me the wrong information.
Ugh, they should fix that. I would have been confused too. The only reason I know is that I've had the fun experience of moving extra memory between my MacBook Pro, Intel mini and MacBook. :eek: :D

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Down on Copperline...
Thanks to all. I'll try it later today and see what happens. :eek:

Who do I send the bill to if it explodes? :D

Edit: Yeah! No boom! I put the memory in and the system is working just fine. I'll let it run for a few days to make sure there are no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.