Swappable Laptop Graphic Cards

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by srobert, May 17, 2004.

1. macrumors 68020

srobert

—>Link to whole article <—

I'm all for it! Lets hopes this becomes standard technology by the time I buy my next laptop (2-3 years) Lets also hope Apple support this effort.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Would be nice to see them make it into the iMac and the eMac style systems.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Have'nt htought about it but... YES!!! Pretty darned good idea. I would love it. Not sure if it's part of Apple's strategy to make those units upgradable tough.

4. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i would love to increase the life of my laptop with video card upgrades; hd are doable, so is ram; why let a good case go to waste when all u really need is to bump up the video card hehe

5. macrumors 68020

another great idea... unfortunately, i dont' think this will find it's way into apple's business plan. let's face it, apple is notorious for not enabling such user-customizable features in both the hardware and the OS. ah well, there's always hope!

6. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    but now that they have stores, they could in theory offer "apple supplied upgrades"... that would probably be quite pricey.. but im sure people would love to up their GPU's.. maybe a CPU or two.

7. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

You can already do this on a few Dell models and Alienware models. Actually I think this feature has been around for about a year now at least for some select PC laptops it has been

Attached Files:

8. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

However, if both Nvidia and ATI quit making standard soldered laptop cards I assume Apple would use these. It might be a little longer, but it will happen.

9. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

I wonder how making the gfx cards user accessible<sp?> will effect size, weight, and cooling of the laptops that use them.

Lethal