Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
I have an original MacBook Pro (2.16 15.4") that I would like to upgrade the processor for to a C2D. Is this possible? I don't care about warranty issues; only thing I care about is whether it's been done with reasonably repeatable and safe results. Thanks for any help.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
To my knowledge, it has never been done, and for good reason. You have a 95% chance of damaging the processor if you try to unsolder it from the motherboard. And that's if you have mad soldering skills.

ToastMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2005
Tacoma, WA
I'd be pretty impressed if you could pull that off.

But are the motherboards in the new C2D MBPs the same as in the CD ones? Meaning would a different processor even work with them?

PillarFan1

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
we can just frikken sticky this thread, it get asked over and over and over and over. also ram info should be stickied and "must have apps" should be stickied.

thats all

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
its gotta be "possible"

intelligent, probably not.

It is possible that I can invade Fort Knox "Rambo" style with a single machine gun and 1 magazine of bullets. Is it realistic? No. :rolleyes:

It is wiser to just sell it on eBay anyway. The top of the line 2.33Ghz merom chips are not cheap at the moment. The cost of the labour to pull such a stunt off would be $MEGABUCKS$

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The MBP CPU is surface mount soldered to the logicboard. You could, in theory, desolder this and resolder a new CPU to the board but in practice you will be 100% certain to destroy the board and both CPUs.

oligore

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
If you have to take off the prosessor to replace the logic board it could be done but if you cant you could hope your logic board brakes down and they replace it with a C2D prosessor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.