Swapping in a Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sauron's Master, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

I have an original MacBook Pro (2.16 15.4") that I would like to upgrade the processor for to a C2D. Is this possible? I don't care about warranty issues; only thing I care about is whether it's been done with reasonably repeatable and safe results. Thanks for any help.

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

To my knowledge, it has never been done, and for good reason. You have a 95% chance of damaging the processor if you try to unsolder it from the motherboard. And that's if you have mad soldering skills.

3. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

I'd be pretty impressed if you could pull that off.

But are the motherboards in the new C2D MBPs the same as in the CD ones? Meaning would a different processor even work with them?

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yes, Merom is a pin-for-pin replacement of Yonah, so you could replace it in theory.

5. PillarFan1 macrumors member

we can just frikken sticky this thread, it get asked over and over and over and over. also ram info should be stickied and "must have apps" should be stickied.

thats all

6. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

its gotta be "possible"

intelligent, probably not.

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

hm i havent checked but is the search function defunct?

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It is possible that I can invade Fort Knox "Rambo" style with a single machine gun and 1 magazine of bullets. Is it realistic? No. :rolleyes:

It is wiser to just sell it on eBay anyway. The top of the line 2.33Ghz merom chips are not cheap at the moment. The cost of the labour to pull such a stunt off would be $MEGABUCKS$

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

It's not even worth considering selling your MBP. Wait for Santa Rosa at least.

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

By then resale would have dropped to poop for his existing 2.16

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The MBP CPU is surface mount soldered to the logicboard. You could, in theory, desolder this and resolder a new CPU to the board but in practice you will be 100% certain to destroy the board and both CPUs.

12. oligore macrumors member

oligore

If you have to take off the prosessor to replace the logic board it could be done but if you cant you could hope your logic board brakes down and they replace it with a C2D prosessor.