Swapping startup disks between G4s... safe?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by brianus, Oct 7, 2005.

1. brianus macrumors 6502

A coworker just upgraded to a PowerMac G5, and I wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade from my current PowerMac G4/single 450MHz to his no-longer-wanted Dual 800 GHz quicksilver. I don't want to (and probably shouldn't) simply transfer my settings and files; I need to have the quicksilver start from the same startup disk as is currently in my 450. Is it safe to just swap the hard drives on these two machines, or will moving to a new system cause problems for the OS or software on my old drive?

This feels like a stupid question, I would think there'd be no problem, but I need to make sure I'm not imperiling my system...

2. yenko macrumors 6502a

That's the easy way, though not "correct". I've seen a few folks get away with it; for a while. :eek:
    The installer installs software specific to the machine. Putting your HD into the Dual will eventually cause problems. :eek:
    My suggestion is to do a clean install on the Dual and import your settings via firewire transfer. This is not what you wish to do, however, judging from your post. :rolleyes:

Not knowing if you have the latest installer disks for the Dual or what version of OS either machine is running, doesn't help me to give you an appropriate response. :confused:

3. brianus thread starter macrumors 6502

They're both running 10.3.4. The reason I don't think I should just do the firewire transfer is.. well actually it's twofold; number one, the Dual has a much smaller drive (40 compared to my 100gigs, and that 100gigs is almost full.. I'd have to purchase another drive just for the transfer); more importantly though I do a lot of UNIX stuff and am running a webserver off the 450 in addition to using it as a desktop, and I'm not sure that stuff can really be transferred all that easily.

I will be moving at least some of the UNIX stuff and the webserver on to an Xserve soon; I guess I should just wait to upgrade my desktop to the dual until that's finished then..

4. yenko macrumors 6502a

I agree with the last sentence. ;)

Take your time and do it right. Seems to me that you have the makings of a nice setup. :eek:

Hard Drives are cheap compared to just a few years ago. A couple of 160 GB HD's would be nice. One for the server and one for the new Dual. Or wherever/whatever you think it would be appropriate. :)

It's too easy to screw up a good idea by getting anxious. :D

You may also want to consider updating to "Tiger" :cool: