sweaty palms

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joe90, Mar 17, 2005.

1. joe90 macrumors member

joe90

firstly i would like to point out that my palms are not above average on the sweaty scale, in fact i would probably say they are below average though unfortunately there is no way i can prove that.

anyhoo, i have become increasingly aware that when i type for a long time on my pb there are marks being left behind by my palms on the keyboard rest. i try to rub off the marks with a tissue but this doesn't seem to get rid of it completely. i don't particularly want to wet the area as it is so near the keyboard and don't want to ignore the marks in case they contribute to discolouration of the rest (i think i've read somewhere that can happen). so can anyone recommend a product/wipe that will clean the area thoroughly so my palms can sweat in peace?

2. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Would wollen gloves help?

on second thoughs perhaps not...I'll get me coat.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

This is a common complaint among PB users. I believe the CPU and HDD are under each wrist...PB users have suggestions I am sure.

4. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

You could try Dr. Nielson's Hyperhydrosis Treatment as suggested by Google below :D

Seriously though, I would suggest carefully wiping it with a warm damp cloth after extended use. I know you said you don't want to wet the area, and of course you need to to be careful not to get any water in the keyboard, but a careful wiping shouldn't do any harm.

5. Dalriada macrumors 6502

I use one of Radtech's Screensavrzs to protect the screen from keyboard marks and at the same time I use it as a palm rest (right hand) Works fine.

- Dal

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

My sweat is gradually eating away the aluminium to the right of my 17"PB, it's got pitted and looks very poor, still, if I ever get thrown in jail, I can simply sweat my way throught he bars... :D

7. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Prison bars are steel. Not aluminum. ;)

8. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

The Optical drive is below the lower right wrist rest and the HD is located under the trackpad. The Battery is under the lower left wrist rest, Processor is in the very back under keyboard, a bit towards the left. Video chipset is in the back right. This is on the 15" ALbooks. I believe the corrosion is because a material defect, not because of sweat. I think, when manufactured properly, the anodized aluminum should be sealed from chemicals and sweat.

9. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

10. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Gross!!

Sorry, but have you seen one of those wrist-rugs after someone has been using it for a while? They get seriously nasty! Ugh. A damp cloth will do just find and not ruin the aesthetic of your gorgeous powerbook!

11. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Fellows screen protector for Palm

I have extra screen protectors for Palm. This is one of those clear screen protector you put on the Palm screen to prevent scratching with a stylus pen. I put one of those screen protectors each palm rest of my PB. There is no glue to this protector. So, it will peel off easily if you want to take it off. It protects the palm rest areas of PB very nicely.

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

No sh*t, sherlock.... :D ;)

Might take me a bit longer then.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Does your sweaty palms occur year around? Anxiety and heat can have an effect on this. If it is very bother some you could also consult a physician. Of course the easiest thing is to just have a towel nearby. ;)

14. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

..or type with your palms in the air....

**i have a powerbook and force my self to do the same**

kyle

15. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Does that technique improve/exacerbate repetitive stress injuries? It makes my arms a bit more tired holding my hands in the air, but it feels more healthy than bending your wrists up to type on the keyboard.

16. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I have a PB, but reading this thread makes me feel like we're talking about a different computer. I think I don't sweat much and/or don't type on the wristrests enough.

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Mine too although I've never noticed my hands sweating while using it. Perhaps it's some weird pollution in the London air that does it...
    I've got a Palm screen protector covering it too now to avoid it getting any worse.

18. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Do you realize what your saying? Thats absolutely rediculous. You spent 2000 sum odd dollars on a powerbook to what? Force yourself to type with your hands in the air because the pos gets to hot. haha I feel sorry for anyone who spent that kind of money on a powerbook then cant even use it comfortably. Way to go Apple :rolleyes:

19. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

wait wait..... we weren't even talking about heat. At least i wasn't. You really did jump to conclusions. Look - to keep *oil* off the powerbook i keep my wrists in the air... It is also good ergonomics. Really. It keeps your wrists from straining.

kyle

P.S i used the word 'force' loosely... I am using my wrists on the powerbook just for this thread. My powerbook never gets hot.

p.p.s - Ridiculous (not rediculous)