Sweden Oil Free by 2020

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link

There should be fewer excuses once countries like Sweden have proven that it can be done.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Agreed. Once a bunch of counties get away from oil, the price of oil should drop and us Americans don't have to hear the world complaining of how we use it all, because nobody else will need it. :D :p

No, seriously this is a good thing. No way a lager country (like the US) could be the fist to do this. A smaller country has to do it first to work out the kinks.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is great. I'm very impressed, and want to see them succeed. But larger countries should focus on shifting the percentage to renewable resources. Notwithstanding the Dilbert today, I think there's benefit to be had in every percentage of American energy consumption that's gated over to renewables.

4. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

good for Sweden! Iceland made a similar announcement not that long ago too. Hope to see many more in the coming months and years. I was really hoping Canada would do something like this but with our new Prime Minister I don't see it happening.
    Not to mention Alberta would flip LOL

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Another thing is that even if the US was much smaller, they still would never try this first.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Probably not. I'm just saying that it would probably be easier to do in a country with 9 million people, than a country with 300 million.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that and if we weren't running out of money to spend (ie the Iraq War) then the US would be a great canidate because of the financal backing. but we dont have that anymore.

but you are also right in that a smaller country can probably have more success at first than a larger one like the US

8. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

The US will get there eventually (by necessity) but it'll be a long and bumpy road.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Unfortunately the US will miss out on all the economic benefits by not being a major developer of new technologies. Germany's wind power industry employes ~150,000 people, Japan also is a leader in solar power.

I've said it a lot and I'll say it again, renewable energy means jobs will stay at home instead of being exported as they are when we import fuel. Just goes to show that bushco is not interested in increasing the amount of well-paying jobs in the US outside of oil executives that is.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Could a stout country be the boot that kicks it into gear?

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, there are cars that run on alcohol.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I left that one for you specially. :)