Sweet Logoing Lemurs! I need help with my logo.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Inkmonkey, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

So for the last several years I've done some work as a cartoonist. Mostly as a hobby but I've been paid a few times. Since my layoff I'm looking at expanding this business and maybe trying to make it full-time.

I've mostly drawn on paper, then maybe scanned and manipulated on the computer. I'm a bit old school I guess. Over the last few months I've been trying to get into a more digital aspect of my work. Bought a Wacom tablet and I've been playing with that. Also dabbling a little in Photoshop Elements. Struggle with it a bit as I try to teach myself. If anyone has any tips around any of that I'd be glad to listen.

But I'm posting today because I was hoping for some help around my new logo I've been working on. First I could always use some feedback on it. Second I'm struggling with getting it to look as I would like. I thought maybe some Photoshop gurus could offer advice.

Here it is:
    [​IMG]

My biggest problem is trying to get the letters to follow the curve a little better. The first part especially.
    Any advice?

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

What is the logo supposed to represent? Target audience? Product/service being offered? (just curious)

For the text: Are you using the Warp text effects? If so and the tool doesn't allow you to do what you want, then I would go ahead and do it manually. One way is to rasterize the text and stretch with the Distort function to get it the way you want it to fit with the banana.

Also, just being a bit analitical here :D here, but on the "K" the top part of they "K" is causing a bit of a tangent with the top of the banana because it barely touching the outline. Try to get it more like the "y", where it is blending into it rather than just barely touching it. But if you use the Distort fuction that will probably change anyways. Of course the tangent might be appropiate if that's the effect you're looking for.

Do you have Illustrator or just Photoshop?

3. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Your banana has a very handmade feel to it, but the lettering looks like a font. I'd do the lettering by hand, as well. Just a suggestion.

4. Inkmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Great Distorted Douroucoulis!
    The name of my company is Ink Monkey Sweatshop. I draw cartoons for freelance work, I also develop cartoon strips and characters, and I'm going to be doing some performance work around cartooning for schools and private classes.
    I was looking for a simple logo and a drawing of a monkey is just too busy for a logo. So I went with the banana.

I am using Warp text effects. Doesn't seem to allow you do much more than a semi-circle. But what do I know?

Your advice is a little foreign to me but I think I can figure it out. I'll give it a try.

And I hear ya on the k and y. I am hopning that being able to stretch the text will help.

I am using Photoshop elements.

5. Inkmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Great Lettering Loris! Thanks SuperChuck. Good suggestion. I just haven't been able to create hand lettering that I like and looks decent.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Placing a monkey would make it busy, hmm depends on how you implement it. ;) :)

If you are going for simple, how about making the name of your company in the shape of a banana, as in place the text in front and the image of a banana inside the text. You will have to kern the test closer and use a BOLD font. Try IMPACT and use kern for results as needed. :)

7. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

I agree. A monkey wouldn't necessarily be busy, and it could certainly impart more character/meaning to the viewer. Below is a logo I did recently for a handmade teddy bear company that keeps the animal limited to basic shapes.

[​IMG]

8. woodsie macrumors member

if you need the text fixed up so it follows the curve more, send me a pm and i'll be happy to do it for you.

But i really feel you need a better concept.

9. Inkmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Great Constructive Capuchins! Thanks for all of the responses. You've all given valid and constructive advice.

I'm sure there's a million directions I could head with this logo. Being a cartoonist I want to keep a cartoon feel to it. That's why the poorly drawn banana. The logo SuperChuck did is awesome. But something like it definitely wouldn't fit my cartoonie style.

If anyone has any better concepts out there I'm more than willing to consider them.

woodsie, thanks for the generous offer. I might take you up on it.

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I was thinking of something similar. Though in keeping with the "inkmonkey" thought, he could do the monkey in a "pen" style.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

How about a bamboo type font to give that "Out of Africa" kind of look. Or would that be too cliche'? Anyhoo, I really like the banana for its cartoonish character and simplicity but the font just doesn't fit somehow. Something more sticklike maybe?

Good Luck!

13. Inkmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet Simple Snow Monkeys! Great feedback once again. Maybe the font doesn't fit with the rest of the logo. Maybe it needs to look more obviously drawn by hand. Much like the banana.

I think I wanted to go with something simple that looks more like many corporate logos. In the sense that they are simple but heavily recognizable. A la Nike or Apple.
    But I also have to keep it in the cartoonish style.
    I'm rather torn with the millions of directions I could go with this. Keep the feedback coming.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For inspiration on an "ink monkey" design that I was referring to you might want to look at the movie Monkeybone.

15. Inkmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Great Movie-Watching Marmosets! Never saw the movie but I remember the monkey graphics being unique and quite cool. I do have somewhat of a monkey "mascot" who I could work into a logo if I chose.

[​IMG]

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Perfect! I would do an ink drawing of that, eliminating the lower half of the body for the inkmonkey text. Or you could have multiple use logos.

The reason i saw that is that sometimes you need a logo that fits a small square. Other time you need a broader logo (which your original drawing would work IMO). After a time of "brand" recognition the monkey with the pen would be enough for people to know who you are.

See you had the answer you asked first in your portfolio!