Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
You know, what's really sad? I work at Office Depot and I've had about three people come in with Pentium Laptops (original Pentium chips) running at about 75MHz and asking what they could do with it. Just another reason why customer service is extremely funny.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
rockandrule said:
You know, what's really sad? I work at Office Depot and I've had about three people come in with Pentium Laptops (original Pentium chips) running at about 75MHz and asking what they could do with it. Just another reason why customer service is extremely funny.

Lets see...75MHz Pentium....how about Word '97!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
rockandrule said:

Hmmm.. could play a game of solitaire that goes on for 3 hours because of the sweet, sweet 75MHz!

If they have the card animations on, it'll take 9 hours, just to render them. :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dmw007 said:
Lets see...75MHz Pentium....how about Word '97!

Okay, I never had a Pentium 75, but Office 97 actually ran really well on a Pentium 150 with 48, I think? MB of ram? With Win95. And let's be honest. At least until Office '04, it wasn't like there were a ton of useful features added to most of the programs, Access, perhaps, aside.

Ahhh, sigh, my Compaq notebook with it's 10.4" TFT and trackball.... I loved that thing. Stupid power-on-password crap made me get rid of it. I miss the lil guy though. Put DSL or somesuch on it, it wouldn't have been half bad. :eek:

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
katie ta achoo said:
Someone should write that for os x.

I was SO surprised when it was TALKING to me!! I thought computers that old could only beep noises.

:) :)
My first (and really only )experience with that was about 14 years ago. I was doing "C" programming on some PC stuff, and the mac head there let me use a little classic machine to do my wedding invitations on. Super cool. I had it "BELCH" really loud when you ejected the floppy. LMAO

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
VanMac said:
My first (and really only )experience with that was about 14 years ago. I was doing "C" programming on some PC stuff, and the mac head there let me use a little classic machine to do my wedding invitations on. Super cool. I had it "BELCH" really loud when you ejected the floppy. LMAO

I like that!
Can I do that for my PowerBook's CD thingy?

I can see it now...
*ejects burned CD for friend*
Powerbook: "BURP!!"
Friend: WTF was that?!
KT *giggling madly*

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
katie ta achoo said:
Hmmm.. could play a game of solitaire that goes on for 3 hours because of the sweet, sweet 75MHz!

If they have the card animations on, it'll take 9 hours, just to render them. :p

Ah, good ol' solitaire - a great program to benchmark your computers performance. ;)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mkrishnan said:
Ahhh, sigh, my Compaq notebook with it's 10.4" TFT and trackball.... I loved that thing.

Ahhh, the good ol' trackball style mouse, had one of those bad boys on my vintage PowerBook 165c with its blazing fast 33MHz processor.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
IIRC, the 150 has an AAUI connector. So if you can find an AAUI transceiver (gotta love proprietary connectors :p) you can connect it to another mac and transfer the files.

N.B. if the other mac is running Tiger you may have to use numeric IPs to connect. Tiger has introduced a little flakiness in AFS.

The other way would be to use a SCSI CD-ROM connected with (you guessed it) another proprietary connector...

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
katie ta achoo said:
What can I do with them?

overclock them to 50 MHz? Take them apart and see if I can successfully put them back together? Take them to the Apple store and ask for help, just to bother the clerks? (I can see that Genius Bar request: "hey.. I have a PowerBook 150. Can I put an 80 gig HD in it? What about AirPort? Please help!!")

Any ideas will be utilized! Thanks. :) :)

DEFINATELY GO to the Apple STore and mess with them 'geniuses' ...i have had so many terrible experiences with "geniuses" who know absolutely nothing about my ipod. i know more about it than them from this forum and google, and from simply usage and a history of three ipods. they are ridiculously obnoxious and for your five minutes of service you have to wait at least an hour, even when you signed up in advance. i made a reservation for 1:15 online, then i went to the store and signed in with the bar at 1 o clock...i didn't get help till past 2:00. before that i asked some guy just a question about my ipod, and he told me to wait in this line he invented a few minutes earlier that gave basic ipod help. so i wait in the line, and then someone comes up the stairs, this good looking woman, and this horny apple rep comes up to her and asks her if she needs help. she has an old, out of warranty 2G ipod that won't hold charge. it's a simple question for the rep to answer: you don't have support for this so you will have to pay; i can't do anything; make an appointment at the genius bar and pay $60 and they will install a new battery. well, apparently that was too hard for him to tell her.

eh, sorry for the rant.

yeah, about those powerbooks. i would either sell them on ebay, unless you want them, or disassemble it. you could try to find out what's wrong with the one with the sad face (if it's a hardware problem). a good project might be to take them apart and then put them back together but in a different chassis...say, a tupperware container...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
wide said:
yeah, about those powerbooks. i would either sell them on ebay, unless you want them, or disassemble it. you could try to find out what's wrong with the one with the sad face (if it's a hardware problem). a good project might be to take them apart and then put them back together but in a different chassis...say, a tupperware container...

Tupperware container...an interesting choice for a chassis.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wide said:
...i have had so many terrible experiences with "geniuses" who know absolutely nothing about my ipod. i know more about it than them from this forum and google, and from simply usage and a history of three ipods.

Okay, this is really dumb :rolleyes: , but while we're on the topic of pranking the genius bar, how funny would it be to install Linux on your iPod, skin it so that it has Windows logos everywhere, and then take it in, and complain that ever since you plugged in to your iTunes for Windows, your iPod doesn't seem to be right, and how you get it to work with your Mac again. :D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
katie ta achoo said:
OOooo, and it's not TextEdit, it's SIMPLE TEXT! Oh, nostalgia for something I've never used... How I love thee. :)

Meh, you younguns' dun remember TeachText? Now there was a real text editor.

~sigh~ :rolleyes:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Mechcozmo said:
Meh, you younguns' dun remember TeachText? Now there was a real text editor.

~sigh~ :rolleyes:

I remember it! I remember my mom helping my type little dinner menus for my little kitchen/restaurant play set. :D

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
mkrishnan said:
Okay, this is really dumb :rolleyes: , but while we're on the topic of pranking the genius bar, how funny would it be to install Linux on your iPod, skin it so that it has Windows logos everywhere, and then take it in, and complain that ever since you plugged in to your iTunes for Windows, your iPod doesn't seem to be right, and how you get it to work with your Mac again. :D

haha, if i knew how, believe me i would. just to annoy 'ol Gerald

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mkrishnan said:

I like it. Great plan mkrishnan.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
mkrishnan said:

Oooo, hoo hoo! but... the people who work at the genius bar know me too well. They'd know that I'm just full of crap. :)

wide said:
DEFINATELY GO to the Apple STore and mess with them 'geniuses' ...i have had so many terrible experiences with "geniuses"
*snip*
eh, sorry for the rant.

what apple store are you going to? I've had nothing but AWESOME experiences with the geniuses. I love them and .. they don't kick me out of the store, haha!

The PowerBooks are worth $10. I checked. hahaha. I'd be paying more in shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.