Sweet Quiet iBook HD and speed choices> Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Grokgod, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

howdy all,

Ok, My friend bought a new G4 iBook and it is really nice, fast and QUIET!

The FAN has YET to come on, not even during a DVD! Heat is NOT even an issue.

It is really sweet and I long for one despite that fact that I have HOT AND LOUD Powerbook.

I long for a quiet, cool<not hot, lap buring> computer to work on, in peace and splendor. I value cool, quiet while I work!

Now this has been a real trial for me to find a unit that can fit into my perceptions of these qualities.

But my friend got the 933 model and its is just splendid, and I can see myself happy with it for a long time to come.

Now here is my dilemna.
    First, I hesitate at getting the faster 1 giger cause the CPU might be overclocked and this could cause the fans to come on.
    Of course 933 is not that much less, so it is of little consequence.

My next thought is the 45 dollar upgrade to a 60 gig HD.
    Does anyone know what the makers are of both HD's and if there are any differences in noise etc?

If there is anyone out there with any of these models and could share their experiences, I would be very VERY grateful!
    TIA all

oh yea, anyone out there use a 1 gig ram chip in their new iBooks, I would love to hear that these work!

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

the extra 67 mhz costs $150 (the 1 Ghz is 1399 edu 933 is 1199 but with only 40 GB HD)
    save the money and get the 933 and use the extra money to get bluetooth (you can only get it when you buy it) or extra ram

3. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

bluetooth?

uhh thanks but Bluetooth is not something that I even use.

I was hoping to hear form anyone out there that has an iBook and is willing to share information that is relative to the subject that I posted.

EG: iBook Hd and fan noise in the 933 vs the 1giger. Or any information about the manufacturer of the 60 gig hd vs the 40 in noise and speed.

Hope to get some help,
    TIA

4. niter macrumors 6502

I am not sure if this is what you want to know, but I upgraded my HD to the 60 GB. I do have the 12", though. Still, my fan almost never comes on. Additionally, I use an iCurve for ergonomics, style, and extra cooling when I am at home....but I have used the computer on my lap without the fan coming on either. My iBook is really quiet too.

5. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

hi and thanks

Thanks for the iBook info Niter!

What model do you have,
    My friend has the 933 and its is SO quiet, i was curious about the 1 giger and if it was as quiet cause if the cpu is overclocked then that might cause the fan to come on more.

Also its great to hear that the 60 gig HD is quiet cause I wanted to upgrade the Hd pn the 933 if i get it cause its only 45 dollars more but i am very concerned about wether the larger HD makes more spin noise etc, because I have no idea who makes either drives and what the differences are.

6. niter macrumors 6502

I have the 12" G4 iBook 800 MHz. I was not sure how much I could help, but since I did upgrade to the 60 GB, I thought I would toss in my experience.

I have a friend who has the 1 GHz iBook, but I am not sure if she upgraded the hard drive. If I see her, I will ask her about her iBook.

7. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

thanks Niter

Niter~ Did you have the 40 giger Hd first?
    Does your 60 giger make noise or heat UP?
    How often does your cpu fan come on?
    Ask your friend how often her fan comes on?
    TIA