Swicher needs to know stuff on 17''Powerbook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Riko19, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Riko19 macrumors member

hi there i bought a 17" powerbook G4 in january and i will soon be getting it at the end of march or a little before i hope. anyways, i was wondering what do i need to know seen as i am a switcher, what is jaguar erm what is quartz summing or other, is it possible on my powerbook g4 to connect to the internet while like im on the train, im from uk :p, oh and by the way whats this about starbucks and ppl saying cant wait to take it into starbucks? i dont understand?, i have a lot to lern to be honest, i here ppl talking about backlight or summing some really good applications, i need this mac for my work @ college for all the adobe selection and seen as a am a multimedia dtudent at university.

Any suggestions and information to help me woould be grately appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick Bowley (HND MULTIMEDIA STUDENT)

:D

2. losfp macrumors regular

errr.. I'll have a stab at those? I'm a switcher myself (well.. an "adder" really) as of this evening (assuming my powerbook is picked up as planned!!)

Jaguar is the name of Mac OS X 10.2 - the latest release of the operating system.

Quartz Extreme is a feature in Jaguar where the computer passes on a lot of the graphics processing to the video card (if it can handle it) so that the CPU doesn't have as much work to do.

You probably can't connect on the train unless you have a wireless modem thingie connected to a mobile phone, OR if there's good wireless (probably wifi) coverage in that particular area.

People are probably talking about starbucks as a lot of them are wireless "hotspots". ie: they have a wireless access point where you can connect using a wireless card (Apple's version is airport or airport extreme)

I think backlight is an application that allows you to run a screensaver as your desktop background. I've downloaded it and will check it out on my new machine tonight.

3. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Also, there is an automatic light sensor in the 17" TiBook that auto-adjusts the screen brightness, and illuminates the keyboard.

4. Riko19 thread starter macrumors member

so what is the connection like when you are online, during your mobile i have a nokia 7650 with wap gprs etc blutooth, but unsure how to use net with mobile,if i have a connection here in the house is there a way of connecting to that witht the airport?

5. losfp macrumors regular

well basically you'll either need an airport base station, or another machine with a wireless card to access the existing internet connection. This is what I have at home:

INTERNET -> Cable modem -> broadband router -> wireless access point (D-Link DWL1000ap) -> Wireless laptop

The router also has all the desktop machines plugged into it.

Basically in an all-mac situation, you might go:

INTERNET -> Modem -> Airport Base Station -> Wireless Macs

If you had wired desktop machines, you could plug them into a hub which plugs into the Airport BS as well.

As for using your mobile phone as a means of connecting, you'd have to look up your particular model and see if can be used with laptops as well. Definitely not for general use though - it would be too slow and expensive!