Swicthing Over

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Loser120588, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Loser120588 macrumors member

I have been a Windows user all my life and well i am going to going to college in the fall. In my mind right now i am going to make the switch and buy the 15 inch MBP but then you have the thing about how much it is and well i am going to be using mac os x insted of windows. should i be worried about swicthing over is it going to be hard and is it the right thing to do. If some of you know some websites that can help me in my decisions that would be great.

Thanks

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I found it easy...are there any apps you do not know of mac equivalents for?

3. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Switching's a doddle. Don't worry about it and do it. :)

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You have time to decide. In the meantime I suggest you invest the $15 and buy David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac". It will give you a better idea of what you are switching to and make you more comfortable when you do switch. There are guides here and elsewhere on the net.

What are you planning to study or what do you want to do with this computer? That will help us help you decide whether you need a MBP or whether a less expensive machine might do. Best wishes.

5. Loser120588 thread starter macrumors member

Mac

I am going on to major in graphic arts and marketing. I am going to use this computer for music internet and other media functions like chatting with friends and family.

6. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

7. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Is that all your going to use the computer for, just chatting and internet? If so, the Macbook should be fine for your needs. If your going to use it to run 3d modeling programs for the Graphic Arts major then the MBP would be your only option.

So if you only need the basic stuff save money and go with the Macbook but if you need graphics intensive programs then go with MBP.

An no Photoshop is not graphcs card intensive, in fact a MBP would only perform a little better than a MB because of the faster processor.

Hope this helps

8. Loser120588 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your help. I have alot of time to think it over and i will always have the second guesses the whole time until i buy the macbook and get used to using it.

Thanks, and more advice is wanted thanks