Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
The problem here isn't whether Apple copied the clock. The problem here is why couldn't the entire country jump on nearly the whole world for copying their designs? Still, I figure they might as well pay the guys and get it over with. Just that the Swiss Federal Railway is truly not seeing the big picture. They could get A LOT more money than this by going after EVERYBODY that took their Swiss Federal Railway design and sold it on the market.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
They do go after everybody who copies their design. And to those who think copyright is 'x' number of years: copyright can be renewed and it varies from country to country. The laws have also been changing, invariably in favor of the copyright holder be it individual, corporation, or heirs.

The problem here isn't whether Apple copied the clock. The problem here is why couldn't the entire country jump on nearly the whole world for copying their designs? Still, I figure they might as well pay the guys and get it over with. Just that the Swiss Federal Railway is truly not seeing the big picture. They could get A LOT more money than this by going after EVERYBODY that took their Swiss Federal Railway design and sold it on the market.

nicklockwood

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I think this is a case of "if you play with fire you might get burned". Apple like to bring out the legal hammer as often as possible and I'm glad they're getting a taste of their own medicine in this case as it's absolutely justified. I like Apple but if they play this litigious game this is what'll happen.

What a ridiculous comment. It's not karma that's suing Apple, it's the Swiss. And they are not suing Apple out of solidarity with Samsung, they are doing it because Apple copied them.

Apple isn't the lawmaker. If you think it's ridiculous that design patents and trade dress exist then fine, that's your opinion. But the law protects these things, and Apple were within their legal rights to sue Samsung, just as the Swiss clock designers are within their rights to sue Apple.

The only game Apple should not have played is the copying game, and I suspect the designer involved will get fired or at least severely dressed down for doing this because it is certainly not Apple's policy to behave this way (unlike, say, Samsung).

RandyWilloughby

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
It's in the details

Hmm, I'm not so sure about this one. Design patent protection is more difficult to enforce because subtle differences are all that are required to keep it from infringing.

For instance:

Like others have noted here: The weight or thickness of the lines denoting the minutes are not identical to the railway clock marks. The arms of Apple's clock are NOT tapered like the (very subtly tapered) ones on the railway clock. The length of the arms (how much they cover the minute hash marks) aren't the same. Also, the Apple second hand has a "bulb" where it "connects" to the central axis.

As much as it appears a copy, these differences may be all that are needed to demonstrate that it is indeed different.

Last edited:

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
You want to talk about copying? Let's talk about Xerox's GUI interface that Apple *and* Microsoft stole.

I'm sorry, I'm only aware of UI design that Apple paid Xerox for with Apple stock. Which are you referring to?

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Oh Please!

If you compare the clock face design of the iOS 6.0 Clock app with a real SBB railway clock, the resemblance is just uncanny--especially the distinctive second hand! (This is especially true when the app is running on an iPad.) As such, SBB and Mondaine have all the right under the Berne Convention to go after Apple either in a US Federal court or an European Commission court that deals with copyright issues.

It will be VERY interesting to see how Apple and SBB/Mondaine will settle this issue.

BrunoCarlo

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012

Attachments

• img_1760.dsb-armbaandsur.jpg
    img_1760.dsb-armbaandsur.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 121

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Hmm, I'm not so sure about this one. Design patent protection is more difficult to enforce because subtle differences are all that are required to keep it from infringing.

For instance:

Like others have noted here: The weight or thickness of the lines denoting the minutes are not identical to the railway clock marks. The arms of Apple's clock are NOT tapered like the (very subtly tapered) ones on the railway clock. The length of the arms (how much they cover the minute hash marks) aren't the same. Also, the Apple second hand has a "bulb" where it "connects" to the central axis.

As much as it appears a copy, these differences may be all that are needed to demonstrate that it is indeed different.

Oh, you mean like the "subtle" differences between Samsung's phones and pads and Apple's that got Apple BILLIONS in damages? Hmmmm? :D ;)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Here is Deutsche Bahn's clock

Looks like Euro train systems have similar clocks

Attachments

• DB Clock.jpg
    DB Clock.jpg
    955.6 KB · Views: 353

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'm sorry, I'm only aware of UI design that Apple paid Xerox for with Apple stock. Which are you referring to?
Apple did not steal Xerox's GUI interface. They licensed it for $1 million.

Apple neither paid anything directly to Xerox, nor has Xerox ever agreed that they licensed their GUI to Apple. (The idea that they did, along with the story that Apple solely invented the personal computer, are two of the biggest and most oft repeated myths on the internet.)

Apple offered Xerox the right to buy 100,000 shares of pre-IPO Apple stock in return for a visit.

A year or two later Xerox licensed Apple to create a Smalltalk computer as a joint exercise.

When Apple later sued other companies for royalties on GUIs, Xerox sued Apple for trying to make money off the ideas they'd shared. As the NY Times reported it:

"Xerox contends that the Lisa and Macintosh software stems from work originally done by Xerox scientists and that it was used by Apple without permission."

"Xerox contends that Apple ''intentionally and purposefully concealed'' the derivation of the Lisa and Macintosh software from Xerox software. It said that Apple's copyrights on Lisa and Macintosh software were invalid and that the company had unjustly received benefits that rightfully belong to Xerox
."

--

As for the clock thing, I suspect that's an innocent copy by some developer, and Apple will either change their clock or license the design.

It is interesting that Apple is very strict about rejecting third party app submissions using copyrighted material, but failed to vet their own app in this case.

Last edited:

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Absurd

Ludicrous. What a waste of TIME.
The seconds hand on the Apple clock has an enlarged part where it would be attached to a physical motor axle.

Over the past 50+ years I have seen many clock faces with the simplistic bars and hands. This is just ridiculous.

blinkin182

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Switzerland
This is called willingness to pay - the average Swiss customer is too passive and stupid to complain against the outrageously high prices of his country - that's how they preserve their artificial prosperity, which is of course financed by a healthy current account based on luxury products and financial services (as well as dictators' money, of course).

Not to mention customer service, which is surely among the worst in the world except for public services like the Post and SBB (i.e., the customer is NEVER right).

And yes, I do live in Switzerland.

hehehe so true about customer service... I'm afraid to ask sometimes! It's ironic in a way when we have prestigious "école hôtelière" here... you'd expect the country to have a little more hospitality, but unfortunately not! :(
At least the beautiful scenery can pacify our frustrations (most of the time)...

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Has anyone mentioned that Android used to rip off the IKEA Pugg clock for its clock widget?

IKEA Pugg clock:
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/images/products/pugg-wall-clock__13080_PE040801_S4.jpg

Android's old stock clock widget:
http://cdn6.staztic.com/cdn/screenshot/g1-stock-clock-widget-2x2-10-1.jpg

1. Ikea clock is not trademarked

2. It is a pretty standard clock and nothing special about it. I can show you quite a few photos of a clock face that looks that one. So again note stolen fairly standard clock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.