switch from mac to windows with a keystroke

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by afornander, May 24, 2006.

1. afornander macrumors 6502

2. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

I am 90% sure he is using Parrallels(or however you spell it).

3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

That would be awesome if this is true. I will definitely be upgrading in August once the Core 2 Duo is released if this is true.

Nuc

Edit: macsrockmysocks does parallel due the rotating cube to switch between the systems. Seems to be a great program if this works.

4. afornander thread starter macrumors 6502

it looks like he is user switching when he changes OS's. so ya just have parallels running windows and linux in fullscreen on diffrent users then fast swich the user easy. case solved.

5. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I went looking on the web and found: Link

One of the Guys in the forum said this was an added feature (cube rotating) in beta 5 or 6. I wish parallel gave more description on the software instead of having to fish through their site and other sites...

Nuc

6. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

iHeartTheApple

Wow! :eek: Very impressive. I'll definitely be trying this one out soon...

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep that's parallels.

The recently released final product is a bit more buggy than the previous BETA :rolleyes:

Parallels is grand if you dont need to do too much in windows, but you cant do anything excessive. No audio recording, 3D games etc...... USB support is still very hit and miss.

8. jwkay macrumors member

jwkay

They're using Parallels and Virtue, according to the video info on YouTube. Windows & Linux are running full-screen on their own virtual desktop.

9. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I'm sure they used para-dudes or wotever, but it looked cool anyway.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

You really want to have some fun, try combining Parallels in fullscreen mode with the SmackBook thing, and you can switch between Windows and OSX by tapping the side of your computer. If that wouldn't be geek cool, I don't know what would.

Sadly, though, in a very quick test it doesn't work all that well; when you smack to switch desktops, it kicks Parallels out of fullscreen mode because Parallels actually takes over the monitor to do it, instead of just hiding the menu bar and making a fullscreen window.

if you could get Parallels to run fullscreen but in a window with no menu bar (ala some fullscreen "demo" apps, or something like FrontRow), then you could do this. So cool.