Switch hard drives?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xiaoxu5101, Jun 22, 2004.

1. xiaoxu5101 macrumors member

I got two hard drives in my PowerMac G4 (AGP), the Master drive is 10GB and the slave drive is 30GB. Now I am thinking about to switch this two drive so the 30GB one will be the Master drive and the 10GB drive will use as a slave. However, I don't know how to do with that because I am not sure that if I need to re-set the jumper in the 30GB to master ( I made the jumper as slave when I installed this drive) or leave it as what I set? The other question is how can I install the OS into the 30GB and when should I do that? How and when can I set the 30GB drive as the boot up drive? Is there any instruction that I can follow to do setp by step?

Thanks in advance.

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

There's no master/slave. Set them to cable select and you'll be fine. To make a drive bootable, install an OS on it. To boot to that OS, set it as the startup disk in whatever OS you're using (system preferences in X or contol panel in 9). Easy.

3. xiaoxu5101 thread starter macrumors member

How can I install the OS X into the 30GB drive. In the Disk Utility, it shows this drive set as slave and when I try to install the OS X into it, it won't allow me to do that? What is that problem?

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Horrortaxi

Really? I don't have to set a Master/Slave relationship? That contradicts everything I have read. Can you explain why?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Cable Select does away with the need to set Master and Slave. Essentially it's an auto-detect mechanism.

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Nermal

ooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo.

Hey, thanks.

7. xiaoxu5101 thread starter macrumors member

So what should I do? Should I re-set the jumper in the drive or do I need to erase the whole 30GB and re-set it? Because it seems can't fix in the Disk Utility.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It sounds like you have one drive set to master and the other to slave. That's not the best configuration. Apple and I both recommend setting both drives to cable select. Then hopefully the OS X installer will recognise the "second" drive as valid.

9. xiaoxu5101 thread starter macrumors member

How can I do the "cable select" with both two drives?

10. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

if i read this right, you're trying to accomplish something via the disk utility. what we're saying here is: yank both drives out (well, remove them properly) and set the jumpers on BOTH drives to cable select. there should be a label or sticker on the drives that gives you the jumper settings.

this means that your computer will auto-detect the drives and eliminate the possibility of master/slave conflicts.

to choose a boot drive, once you've installed your OS onto it, under "System Preferences" there's a Startup Disk panel. simply choose the appropriate system folder from there.