switch hardware adds

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by i_wolf, Jul 17, 2002.

1. i_wolf macrumors regular

First off i am a newbie. Make no apologies.
    I think apple are very clever at their marketing techniques.... those switch adds have won me over.... from Wintel.
    My problem is that again i am a power user. On a hardware level... ignoring the (it will crash every ten seconds) because i may well install red hat linux 7.3. I WANT to justify that my $3000 will buy me a piece of technology that is far in advance of anything on the PC side of the fence. Unfortunately what i seam to be getting from the different forums is that ultimately one is buying a two and a half year old processor that is maxing at 1GHz, an archaic motherboard hat supports SDRAM, and all for an extremely high price point. Albeit in a very nice case. Dont dish me.... im sure that soon apple will release something great in the powermac line... its long overdue. But any professional windows user that is about to switch will think that it is ludicrous to have a professional line so expensive when it is so out of date (i mean this in a price to power ratio) compared with a new extremely similar in power iMac that also has a monitor and speakers being bundled with it for nearly half the price???? It doesnt make sense!
    Any constructive opinion please.. Im very open to being told that i am wrong.... enlighten me!
    Regards,
    I_wolf

2. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Hey Wolf, nice to have you.

You'll get the power line at some point, all the signs point to a pretty big upgrade.

Apple's new thing is to realease stuff when ready, I think as a result of wanning interest in the iMac while people waited for them to ship. They are going to call a press conference and release hardware when it is ready to go, which right now looks like august.

Hope with me now: Its been a long walk in the derssert now, and the imac line is pushing on the PowerMacs door. It is possible that a major hardware upgrade is on the rise.;)

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: switch hardware adds

Unfortunately, you're quite right. I expect the situation will be remedied soon, but right now it sucks.