Switch Lacie d2 with Lacie Porsche? *please advise*

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Macsharing, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Macsharing macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2004
    Hi all,

I need some advice, and I need it quickly: should I exchange my newly bought Lacie d2 drive for one of their Porsche models? Does anyone have experience with either drives? I just received my 160gb d2 drive from the Apple Store last friday and I don't know how I could have missed it, but it seems they actually offer the 160gb Porsche design for 40 euro less! When I noticed this the thing to do seemed to be obvious: use my 10-day-return-policy to send the d2 back and replace it with a Porsche one. But after looking around a bit on the web I'm not so sure anymore.

The reason I would go for a Porsche model is: because it is a bit smaller and faster than the d2 not to mention cheaper, and Lacie promotes it as particularly portable. But after reading a bit on the web I found some people reported having problems with the Porsche. Also I've read the case of the Porsche design is, despite looking metallic, actually plastic while the d2 is aluminium, which makes me wonder about the supposed sturdiness for portability of the Porsche. Of course, it could be that the drive they use for the Porsche is really more shock-proof and has a metal case around it inside. One other thing I like about the d2 is also that I've also already got a d2 cd-writer, so I can stack them together on my already crowded desk. I don't know if stacking a Porsche and a d2 is possible, the mechanisms for doing so seem to be different on the two models. But still, those seem like small benefits to pay an additional 40 euro for ... I would also expect the Porsche to be more silent than the d2 etc. ...

So if anyone could shed some light on this dilemma, please do ...
  2. djkny macrumors 6502

Sep 30, 2003
    Don't switch. I have the LaCie D2 160gb, and it's solid.

LaCie will even tell you that the aluminum d2's are more the prosumer level, sturdier, solid, proven, and the Porsche drives are the cheaper, more plastic, consumer versions.

Also, the Porsche's were first released last September, then revised and re-released in November due to mechanical errors.

If you want name and design, get the porsche....if you want longevity and substance, stay with the d2.
  3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    The porsche really has no functional advantage over the d2, and i personally like the look of the d2 better
  4. Macsharing thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2004
    Thanks for the tips! One question though: isn't the Porsche more silent than the d2? I find the d2 to be quite noisy ...