1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Switch MacBook Pro 13 for MacBook Air 11

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ninjaslim, Mar 17, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I currently have the following machine: MacBook Pro 13" with 8GB of RAM and a 128GB Crucial SSD. However, I absolutely love the MacBook Air 11 form factor. What do you guys thinking of switching what I have now for the MacBook Air 11 with the i7 and 128GB SSD, which should be enough for me? I don't use the drive on my Mac or the ports most of the time, and I'm looking to get the Thunderbolt display soon anyway.

2. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Seen as that you have a Mac right now and theres no urgency in picking up an Air - you'd be better of waiting for the refreshed models which are due soon (April-May'ish).

3. macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

How can anyone offer a suggestion to assist when you haven't stated what you wanted out of your daily use for either?

Personally I love the MBA 13" form-factor BUT to me it only is good for:
    web, email, documents, Outlook, iPhoto, iMovie and possibly GarageBand.
    11" MBA ... about the same without GarageBand ... but at that size for those uses ... why bother? Go with the iPad 3 as it has the horsepower and slightly better battery life over time not to mention - Dual Carrier HSPA+ & LTE.

I required Logic use and switched to the MBP 13" i7 model.
    in 2 weeks I'll be upgrading: 8/16GB RAM
    Downgranding/Upgrading: 750GB HDD to a 480 SSD, along with a ThunderBolt LaCie External. I'll still be a bit under that performance in Logic Express vs the hardware but it'll last me 3yrs.

----------

Actually,

considering your signature ...

Sell: iPad & MBP,

Buy: iPad 3 ... wait for refreshed MBA in June/July 2012 - buy Apple stock in the meantime and wait for a 25% increase to help pay off the new hardware ;)

4. macrumors demi-god

entatlrg

MacBook Air sounds like a great choice, and since you like the 11" you'll probably really enjoy using it.

An iPad is no replacement for a computer so if you're looking to do tasks or content creation quickly and efficiently then a laptop is the way to go.

I have both and iPad 4G and an Air, I really like them both, they get used all day every day.

5. macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. My apologies folks for not mentioning what I use my computer for. Mostly internet, document processing, some graphic design, photography and light movie editing.

6. macrumors 6502a

The only advantage of the Pro 13" to me is the ram upgradabliity. But for me the 13" Air is a powerhouse of a laptop. I was surprised how well it handles photoshop and premiere. Games are hit and miss but that's what the console is for right lol. I am hoping for a 8gb ram option on the new Air.

I love the 13" Air and Pro because I think they are a great value because you get into Apple with a great laptop for around a $1000 that you can upgrade every year if you want for $200.

7. macrumors member

When do you expect the upgrade to drop? There's a good deal on a refurbished 11" right now.

8. macrumors regular

I understand what you mean. I purchased last November the MBA 11'' just to use as a light traveling laptop. I could not believe how fast it is! I got the one with the 4GB RAM and 128 GB SSD, and I feel that it is faster than my iMac 2.5GHz i5! Boots up in 30 secs and loads software in 1-2 seconds. To make long story short, I do not use my MacBook 13'' anymore, and I find myself using more often the MBA even at home.

9. macrumors member

I feel like the MacBook Air 11", a loaded one, could easily last me for a few years. Plus, I don't like the weight of the MacBook Pro and don't feel it's necessary since I rarely use any of the ports or the drive on it. Really, the best combo for me is MacBook Air + Mac Mini.