Switch: performance question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nicorojas, Sep 2, 2003.

1. nicorojas macrumors member

I will switch to Apple in the next 2 months.

Being a longtime wintel user, i'm bored of the problems i currently have (and always had) with my pc.

I will use the computer to surf the net, light photoshop, audio editing and multitrack recording and some movie convertion.

i need advice on what apple get: an iMac 15", a ibook 14", Pb 12" or a Pb 15"(hopefully upgraded).

The only thing i actually do that takes an enormous amount of time is avi to mpg convertion (to make vcd's of any videos i found on the net). My current PIII 750 with 256 Mb RAM takes aprox 8 hours to convert a 2 hour movie at a decent resolution.

How long do those computers take to do the same job?

I will trust your information over benchmarks.

2. JustAGuy macrumors member

Get the mac you can afford, virtually all of the models will meet your expectations in terms of performance, but the more you spend the faster the computer you buy will be.

The G4 isn't as good at int and fp work as the G5, but it is much better at any altivec-optimised code (based on benchmarks, so far). Audio and video programs are heavily alitivec optimised. I know I recently did some simple audio work on my P4 2.4, then on my G4 dual 1.25 and the G4 simply crushed the P4 (roughly 1 minute vs 10 min to apply the same filter to the same file).

Personally, if I were coming over from the PC at this point and budget was a concern, I'd look into picking up a freshly discounted dual 1.25 or 1.42, if I could find one. Of course I'd like a dual G5, but I try and avoid Rev A machines.

3. jtown macrumors 6502

First, forget the 14" iBook. You get nothing but a larger screen. Resolution is the same as the 12". Same ports. Same graphics chip/RAM. Same CPU. Same options. You lose a bit of battery run time going with the 12" but you also lose a lot of size/weight. You can hook the 12" up to a bigger monitor and even use software (not supported by Apple) to enable the full dual-display capability of the machine.

Every Mac you named should be as fast or faster than your current machine when it comes to movie conversion. The iBook will probably be about the same (depending on the source material and the quality settings you use). The imac or PB should be significantly faster.

Not sure about the multi-track recording. The ibook has no audio input so you'll have to find something to deal with that. Shouldn't be hard to get a simple line-in USB device. However, if you want real multi-track recording, you're looking at some expensive equipment like the MOTU 896 ($1200). Well, maybe not that expensive. I'm sure there's something in between.

4. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Re: Switch: performance question

Dont get too hung up on the current vocal anti PB Ti hype. The impatient upgraders want more from a PB, and who wouldnt secretly like the next ultimate notebook? but my poxy 867Mhz Ti with 768MB RAM is a complete monster in its current "obsolete" state and would surely impress you with its ability to handle so many tasks at once.

Bang for buck though, if you dont need mobility, as Justaguy said, I would definitely check out the olde worlde dual G4 Powermacs.