Switch to OS X now, or wait until Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qbmcnabb108, Dec 13, 2006.

1. qbmcnabb108 macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

I am currently looking to buy my first Mac, a MacBook. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to get a MacBook now and learn how to use OS X and everything about it and then upgrade to Leopard, or should I just wait until Leopard comes out and get a MacBook then?

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Well, only you can decide if you can wait till Leopard comes out. If you can't then buy now and upgrade to Leopard when it's released - Tiger is still an excellent OS and you should have fun in the meantime. You will have to pay for a Leopard upgrade though.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I think you answered your own question. No need to live any longer in the dark, come to the bright side RIGHT NOW :D

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Whats more important to you? 150 dollars (the probable cost of Leopard) or possibly 4 months or more of not having a Mac and waiting?

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

waiting games are so out of control here, you have to decide for your self.

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Usually a single user license is $129 and a family pack 5 user license is $199 (U.S. dollar).

To the OP: Seems like precarious time as to way out the benefits of getting a Mac now or wait for Leopard. While there is no release date, it will probably release in about six months, which would be in the Spring. I think if you wait any longer, I would wait for Leopard. MacWorld might have some updates as well. So you actually have two things to think about: MWSF, and Leopard release date.

Hope that didn't confuse you much. ;)

7. qbmcnabb108 thread starter macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

waiting/time/money isn't an issue, I just didn't know if Leopard was going to be totally different from Tiger, as in like how to use things, etc. Like will it be like a XP to Vista where the controls are basically the same? So like then I would by one with Tiger and then learn how to use it, and then upgrade to Leopard and have to learn how to use a whole new OS. I guess that was really my question.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

other than 64-bit cpu compatibility (which will be surprisingly not-so-significant) and data restoration program (so called time machine) and several other "looks-great" apps. I wouldn't expect much difference between Tiger and leopard.

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Oh I see, well Leopard and Tiger ARE the same system (OSX) so no, you won't have to relearn anything, just the new stuff leopard brings.

10. qbmcnabb108 thread starter macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

Oh ok, if I buy now and then want to upgrade to Leopard, will I have to back up all my files and then install Leopard or is it like an update?

11. adiosk8 macrumors regular

update

12. qbmcnabb108 thread starter macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

Hmm...that sounds easy enough...I guess I will see what happens at MWSF and then look to purchase a MacBook and wait for a stable release of Leopard. Thanks for all the replies!

13. qbmcnabb108 thread starter macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

Actually, I have another question...I'm thinking about purchasing the MacBook tomorrow, but before I do, is there any planned releases for the regular MacBook? I doubt so, since they just updated them with C2D, right?

14. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Not that I'm aware of, and usually there are rumors of such things on the forums prior to it actually happening, so I don't think so.

15. qbmcnabb108 thread starter macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

Ok good..I'm gonna go think about this now...Thanks!

16. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

By the way, sorry for this being a little off topic, but OS X doesn't seem to have a CD key. I was wondering how it worked per package you buy (ie 129 single user vs 199 5 users). How can apple tell how many people have installed it if theres no key?

17. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

They can't, they're operating on an honesty policy.

18. tangent23 macrumors newbie

yes apple assumes that the majority of their customers actually want to do the right thing, and will do the right thing if given the chance..

scandalous, i know..

19. Romulus macrumors regular

If you are a student, the license is evan cheaper...

Wait till ?MacWorld in January, the 8th I think, you will see much more info and be able to do a more informed decision...

Leopard is a progression of Os X but there are rummors that there maybe a new GUI... However, if you are looking to figure it out, you will be just fine in Leopard as it is the same operating system...

No new Macbook comming for some time probably... It seems like nowadays Apple updates them every 6 months or so... The next one will probably take advantage of some Intel Santa Rosa features and the Robson technology, even though probably not named so by apple...

New 12" comming according to rumors, if you are looking for an even smaller lappie...

20. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

What's nice... unlike windows, an update is an update only to the OS, not your whole computer. All your files stay in the same place, your apps are still installed, nothing changes but the OS itself. Lovely....

If I recall... a Windows 'update' means you're already had windows installed and your installing the new version, as well as all your old docs and files and applications and... gotta love Windows.

21. qbmcnabb108 thread starter macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

Oh ok, that is much better than Windows IMO. Well I broke down and bought it! I'm pretty pumped!!! I got a MacBook 2ghz C2D/1gigRAM/120gig HDD.

22. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Buy your macbook now. Upgrade to Leopard when you feel like it. :)

23. BryanP macrumors member

BryanP

If you need the Mac now, then why wait?

Just buy what you need now and think about upgrades later. It isn't like Tiger is a bad OS. Tiger is a great, stable operating system to use and it's not going to change in Leopard.

With the release date questionable, I'd worry less about Leopard and just purchase the Mac now, then decide if you want to upgrade to Leopard later on.