switch where speech should be...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by celebrian23, Jul 2, 2006.

1. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I remember this coming up before, but I don't know what terms to search for. Anyways, instead of what should be there, in the system preferences I have what looks like a switch instead of the normal speech icon. Just started today. Can you help me?

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Close System Preferences then find a file named com.apple.preferencepanes.cache in the Caches folder on your Home folder's Library and drag it to the Trash, then reopen System Preferences. Hopefully this works. :)

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's funny, my brand-new MacBook Pro had this (precicely the same screwy icon) when I first got it. If the suggested fix doesn't work, then I can encourage you by saying that whatever cache was goofed up fixed itself after a while, though I don't remember what I was specifically doing when it worked itself out.

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

5. celebrian23 thread starter macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I can't find it either :( Maybe I missed it. I'm not on my mac now though, so I'll have to wait until I get home to do anything about it

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I searched 3 Macs and couldn't find that image...

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Spotlight won't find the file, but it should still be in the Caches folder. Is it not?

8. celebrian23 thread starter macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I looked in the caches folder, I went to library -->caches last niight and I could promise it wasn't there! I looked 4 or 5 times. Now it's there. hmmmm...well it worked so thanks a lot! :p

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There are a few different libraries so it can get quite confusing. This one resides in the Home folder though. Glad it's all good now. :)

10. Cullen macrumors newbie

:( Neither fix worked, an apple wants to charge me $75 for an Archive/install! thats one family christmas presant down the drain! my best bet now is probably to find someone with the mac mini G4 OSX cds and do it myself.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Cullen, show us a screenshot. Remember, System Preferences must be closed when you remove the cache file. :)