Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Hello all,

I know the explanation and the reasoning behind why the average PC user should switch to a Mac. In my case however, none of the reasons would make me switch. I can build my own computers, and my Windows XP machine runs rock solid with dual channel 1gb ram and an Athlon 64. I never have virus or spyware issues as I know how to speedily get rid of them. I play numerous games on my PC, most of which would most likely not be available for the Mac. Ease of use obviously isn't a problem for me, as I can work around any complications I encounter.

Now, why in the world am I posting? First of all, it is not an ego boost for myself:p I'm just simply curious if anyone can point out any Mac advantages that I might utilize for someone like myself. Personally, I can't think of any, but I have very little knowledge of Mac computers, as I work with and sell PCs and have never really worked with Macs very much at all.

Thanks for any input.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Hi. I used to be like you. Still am, in a way. I've worked with IT for over 20 years. Build my own rigs, have had zero viruses, etc.

Get married. Have a kid. Go get your MBA. Have another kid. Travel for work.

Your life changes, so do your computing needs. One day I woke up and decided I'd had enough. Enough updating my Windows box. Enough installing security patches. Enough fiddling through SIX menus to change an access permission. Crashing programs and the litany of issues that come with being a Windows user.

Life is so much better now. As a writer, the Mac lets me be more creative. Now I spend more time *working* as opposed to *working on the computer.*

Got my wife a PowerBook. For Christmas she made a DVD movie for her mother and father of their 20+ years together. She mixed the music, did the transitions, and made the DVD in iDVD. Most importantly, she never needed to ask me for help. She's a total computer "n00b." :) That alone made the purchase of the PowerBook worth it.

I still work on PCs every day. I manage IT for my region for a Fortune 100 company. We're a 100% Windows shop. We're one of the Computerworld Top 100 Places to Work in IT. I hate every moment I have to work on these machines. All I can think about is how much more productive I'd be if I were doing this on a Mac. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.