Switcheasy Canvas - Looks good!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by psychonaut, Apr 7, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Just ordered - it looks real good. The extra layer on the back adds a little bulk (Looks like it) but overall it seems impressive. Includes sleep/wake and stand features as well!

I am looking forward to getting this one in hand.

http://www.switcheasy.com/products/CANVAS_iPad2

2. macrumors 68000

Ugh... It looks nice, but I hate that design. I don't know why so many manufacturers choose to use that design where the back of the case comes off and you use he cover as the stand base.

3. macrumors 6502a

drenline

I wish it came in white, I would've ordered it too.

4. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

NICE!

Good find! I may just bite on this one. Is it shipping immediately? Maybe I'll wait until some reviews come out with some different pictures. This is definitely going to the top of my list though!

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, looks to be shipping now. I ordered the Black and Charcoal and suspect they will ship it tonight/tomorrow. (This is what happened with the Cara case that I also ordered from them)

I am close to their shipping location so I'll have it early next week at which point i'll provide my impressions etc.. in a video review.

6. macrumors regular

Exactly what I've been waiting for. Thanks for the heads up.

7. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Question: is the outer cover supposed to be like a synthetic leather? I can't really tell from the pictures, but the threading along the edges sort of makes it look so. They say this in the description, "we have employed a special water resistant, shock absorbent, matte finished outer shell which is both soft to hold but also easy to grip." Hmm

8. macrumors regular

From the website:
    Made from Durable scratch resistant matte coated canvas material.

Sounds like cordua to me. Similar to the Timbuk2 bag material. I took the plunge and ordered a grey Canvas because I need a case asap, and it looks like it has everything I need (and more). I just hope it's not terribly bulky. $50 includes the case, screen protector, and port plugs.

9. macrumors regular

I think it's because this design allows the outside cover to continue laying face down on whatever surface you put it on. That makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is that other design where you flip the cover over and lay the internal micro-fiber side down on the surface, picking up dirt, dust and debris and then flipping it back over onto your screen.

10. macrumors 68000

I can appreciate that. I should also give SwitchEasy credit for is they changed it up a bit. Unlike some of the other cases with this design, this case never exposes the back of the iPad. I just noticed the "Canvas" part comes off the shell which is always protecting the iPad.

11. macrumors regular

That's what I like about it. However, I'm concerned how this will also bulk up the entire package. Well, we'll see in a few days.

12. macrumors member

pbateman.as

Just ordered one in black. Looking forward to receiving it and posting some pics.

13. macrumors 68000

14. psychonaut, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

thread starter macrumors 6502a

So my carbon and black SwitchEasy Canvas cases came today and I'll call it right now. This is the case to beat. I am considering canceling my Marware C.E.O. Case now because I really can't see any folio case getting much better than this one. For scope, I've reviewed a bunch of iPad 2 cases so I have plenty to compare to.

Yes it adds some bulk and weight but not as much as a book jacket.

It completely protects the device between the polycarbonate shell and outer coated Nylon cover.

Sleep wake feature works perfect and when folded back does not trigger the sleep feature.

All angles for typing and viewing are great IMO.

Sorry to gush on this case but it's the first iPad 2 case that I can 100% recommend without reservation.

The only reason I can think not to buy this are:

1. You want a naked or close to naked iPad
    2. You insisit on a back skin, as I'm not sure the fit will be right with a back skin applied.

Other than that it's a winning case! No conflict with any screen protectors either.

No pics to show at the moment but do a YouTube search on SwitchEasy Canvas iPad 2 Case later tonight and I should have my video review up.

If you have questions let me know.

15. macrumors 6502

Can you fold it open like a book? How is it in this position?

16. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes you can, it will not trigger the sleep feature and it's pretty comfortable overall in the folded back position.

17. macrumors 68000

Even though this may not be what I am looking for, I always enjoy your videos.

18. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey thanks. :)

19. macrumors 6502

Yeah your videos are top notch. Thanks again. Right now i'm trying to decide between the incase magazine jacket and this case.

20. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd say it depends on if you want a minimalistic with little bulk case or one that provides a much higher level of protection, uses the sleep and wake feature but adds some bulk.

If it helps I should have my incase magazine video up tomorrow (the switcheasy is up now).

21. macrumors 6502

With the switcheasy, does the lip interfere when holding it in book mode (cover folded behind)? What about if you lay it on the table in book mode (inside of the cover folded behind touching the table?

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Holding it absolutely not, on a table folded back not at all as a matter of fact it actually helps to stable it and prevent it from wobbling.

23. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

24. macrumors regular

Heh, after my awful experience with the Yoobao case and its treated with who-knows-what "genuine" leather, canvas is alright with me.

25. macrumors 6502

Autokon

Looking forward to receiving mine on Monday! :cool: