Switcheasy Canvas warranty replacement and hardware revision

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by JaredVegas, May 18, 2011.

1. macrumors member

My previos Switcheasy canvas had cracking in the corners and the latch was difficult to close. I emailed them pictures of the damage and got the replacement today. The new case seems to be revised to fix these issues. I can now easily close the case now and no visible cracks in the corners. Just thought I would post this to elevate any concerns people might have. It is an amazing case and the warranty replacement was easy and fast.

2. macrumors 6502

Does the material feel different?

3. thread starter macrumors member

The material feels the same. The iPad is not as tight of a fit as the previos one. I love being able to close it one hand now and not having to fight with it.

4. macrumors regular

can you please post your photos and your email ?

thank you - i am still fighting the latch :(

5. macrumors 6502a

Mac7

When were the revisions sent? Ordered mines last Thursday and they just arrived today. Latch is a little tough

6. thread starter macrumors member

I received mine on 5/18/2011

Video of the latch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUGBw0jLVVs

7. thread starter macrumors member

Here was my previous one that was cracking

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 603

rgarjr

Huge crack right there brah. Glad they revised them.

9. macrumors regular

I ordered mine the week they announced the Canvas and have used it quite thoroughly for the past month - on a trip, and everyday in its different stand configurations. The velcro has started to lose its stick. I emailed SE this past Monday about it, and after a couple of emails to each other to forward/gather info, they said they were going to send me a new one when they had stock. Yesterday I received two notices, one from SE customer service that a shipment came in and they were going to send me my replacement, and second, a shipment notice from stamps.com. No fuss, fretting or frustration. Excellent customer service all the way around.

10. macrumors 6502

I received mine today as well... Amazing case, however yes, the latch is the issue.

It is a huge fight to get the latch to close.. it doesn't just click into place like the one in your video - you have to literally stick your finger inside it and pull it out. If you don't, and you continue to press down, the latch gets stuck on the inside of the plastic shell and starts to pull it off.

11. macrumors 6502

I haven't gotten one because of the latch.
    Is it even necessary?
    If not it shouldn't be there.
    Also I hate the logo tag sticking out.
    Both of these things ruin the otherwise clean lines of it.
    Close, but no cigar.

12. macrumors regular

Well, if you like making judgement calls going on two-dimensional photos only, it'll be hard to ever find a great case. In my experience, the logo tag is trivial and is never intrusive in everyday use. In fact, I forgot it was there until you pointed it out. The clasp is necessary to keep the cover closed. Too bad it can't stay shut with magnets. It is tight to begin with but loosens over time. Apparently there were some that were too tight and SwitchEasy has sent out replacements. Just my opinion from real-world use.

13. thread starter macrumors member

My first case was like that

14. macrumors newbie

Mine was like that too. Try to stretch it up a bit with your thumbs from the inside. It's a million times better already now after a week.

Another great tip: push on the left side of the case with your left hand so that the whole "foldable" cover will be as far to the right as possible, making closing the latch a lot easier. (when I didnt in the start, the latch was basically like, on the glass of my iPad, pushing the latch down would've done nothing but damage my iPad, but if you push the whole cover to the right the latch actually goes next to the iPad, then you can push it down and it slips accross the edge.)

15. macrumors 6502

I don't like how it sticks out.
    My preference would be a magnetic closure.

16. macrumors newbie

Same here really... I've been fiddling around with some magnets and it actually seems like the ipad 2 has some pretty strong magnets in it. Put a few small neodymium magnets in this thing and it should probably stay closed with ease... I don't get it either why they used the latch. With a magnetic closure this case would be 100% perfect.

17. thread starter macrumors member

Agreed

18. macrumors regular

well thank you OP for letting me know about the customer service is

i went ahead and sent them all the requested info - pictures, issues, etc.

my case's latch unfortunately never broke in and it's been a struggle every time.

my velcro also doesnt do much holding.

what is the purpose of the velcro anyways?

19. macrumors regular

Finally got my iPad 2 delivered. Immediately went to put it in my Switcheasy Canvas, which fit fine and looks great... But it is an absolute bear to close! Guess I will be sending an email their way soon.

20. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

Don't bother with a switcheasy. Check out the STM Skinny...hands down the best iPad 2 case.

21. macrumors regular

No thanks. The Skinny looks fine, but I much prefer the Switcheasy. I'd rather wait around for a replacement.

22. macrumors newbie

I didn't like the logo either so i just pulled it out. There was some of it stuck inside but I got it out with a needle I think.

23. macrumors 6502

Fairly happy with switch easy customer service. My canvas had an issue with the latch and magnet wasnt working right. They asked for a photo or video. I made a short video to demonstrate the magnet not working and they sent me a replacement right away. The replacement is much better the latch seems to be much easier to close and no issues with the magnet now.

24. macrumors member

Sent in an email this am, stating that my latch wasn't correct. They replied back, asking for a pic, which I provided, and just got the notice of the replacement being sent. Bravo, SwitchEasy! ;)

25. macrumors member

I want refund not replacement.

How is Switcheasy about refunding instead of replacing??? My Canvas case broke in two corners. I sent them a email with pix and copy of my Pay Pal invoice requesting refund NOT replacement.

Anyone else request a refund and got it???