Switched 30 minutes ago

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xrayzed, Aug 11, 2005.

1. xrayzed macrumors member

Brand new 14-inch iBook.

I haven't used a Mac for five years. I'm rather looking forward to checking this baby out...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice! :)

How much RAM? I hope it's 512MB plus, and if not, look into some third party stuff to ensure your new friend is a high flyer.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Congratulations xrayzed :D. I'm sure you'll love it.

Your elation should grow over the next week or so - at which time you'll post a thread about how you ever survived without OSX :).

Enjoy!

4. xrayzed thread starter macrumors member

I added an extra 512MB. I was looking at adding 1GB, but an IT friend of mine told me that Mac memory management is designed to work best when the RAM chips are the same size.

He's been a Mac-fan for years, and even sent me a black skivvy when I said I was switching. :D

5. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

True, but only for the G5's I believe

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

And I'm pretty sure it's only relevant if you get them at pretty much the same time. It's not a size thing so much as a specific part of the RAM that must be the same to get full benefits. Having said that, they must be the same size.

8. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he said new iBook, and all the iBooks start at 512, therefore making it impossible to buy anything that isn't "512mb plus."

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that you will be very pleased with the performance increase from the extra RAM. Hopefully you purchased AppleCare also.

11. xrayzed thread starter macrumors member

Early impressions:

Mac OS is close enough to Windows to confuse a switcher. My current rule of thumb is "when confused try the simplest solution".

For example when I was trying to open photo files on a CD-ROM I kept trying to find the command in the drop-down menus, checked the help files, etc. After about 15 minutes I thought "I wonder what happens if I just drag the files over the application?"

Solved.

Another example: when connecting my firewire external HD I plugged it in, and then began ferretting around trying to work out how to detect and install drivers and such.

Then by chance I look up at the screen and see the icon shows the drive is already mounted and ready to go.

"Oh. Wow. That was easy."

I'm beginning to get the idea of this "it just works" philosophy.

I'm not a Mac-cultist yet - I've had a few hiccups as well with the Superdrive jamming at one stage, a dead pixel, and I'm still not 100% sure about the one-button mouse (I might still try my Logitech, or even check out the Mighty Mouse). No deal killers though, and so far I'm more than happy with the purchase.

OTOH my wife lives in dread of the idea of my dragging the iBook with us everywhere we go. Rightly so, as it turns out. :D

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm very happy for you. Everyone loves an intuitive OS. :)

13. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Just wait till you realize how fun it is to have the iBook with you on vacation at your hotel with high-speed internet!
    Might have to sneak it into your carry-on luggage... ;)

14. xrayzed thread starter macrumors member

I also have to say I don't know why people complain about the look of the iBook. I find the clean, simple design rather appealing.

Maybe it's just a boredom thing, wanting a fresh approach. But it still works for me.

15. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I got a 14" iBook yesterday and it is AWESOME! I hope you enjoy your :D

16. iGary Guest

iGary

17. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

You may want to check out David Pogue's book "OS X: The Missing Manual." It's very clear and easy to read... and helps make the whole switching process nearly painless.

Congrats on your new Mac!

18. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501