Switched back to Safari (Firefox Problems, Again)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ingenious, May 19, 2006.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Disclaimer: This is not a flame to Firefox developers and I'm not trying to be a troll. I'm just voicing my frustrations (i.e. rant).

Okay, yesterday I decided that I was completely fed up with Firefox after it had yet another problem. Besides being a memory hog and crashing all of time and pinwheeling all of the time, I went back to Safari and like it a lot better.

It's GUI is sleek and it is, too. It doesn't bog down my aging PowerBook, and it allows be to be productive in what I'm doing. I don't have to wait for Firefox to ask about closing tabs (which is a nice feature, but it's way too slow) on exit. It doesn't have problems with QuickTime that cause the entire GUI to become unresponsive (even though the mouse still moves).

I would appreciate Safari getting the new "plastic" look, but overall, it's a much better experience.

The thing is, I used Firefox because I wanted to support their effort, but it's not getting any better in the way of (non)buggy software.

If anyone has suggestions for Firefox, I might consider using it again. I do really like being able to use my Extensions.

Thanks.

2. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Try Shiira and Camino. You might like them better.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

You can set FireFox to not ask when closing multiple tabs (under Preferences), but I really like that feature and wish that Safari had it; since Sarari doesn't save sessions, I too often close the main Safari window when I think that I am closing just a single window, and end up losing everything that I was doing. And, although I generally prefer Safari's GUI and overall "feel", it keeps slowing to a crawl after a few hours and I have to restart it. I can leave FF up for days on end without this problem. I have tried to go back to Safari many times over the past year, on different Macs, but keep going back to FF because it just works better overall for me. YMMV

4. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

That feature is good, I agree, but way too slow. Firefox is just way too unresponsive IMO.

5. theorem7 macrumors member

Yeah, I would recommend Camino. It uses the same Gecko rendering engine as Firefox and is a Mozilla project also, except that it's optimized for Mac OS X. So it's really dependable, fast, and looks nice too, as it uses a Cocoa user interface!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Welcome back. Maybe look into UNO for that plastic look. I use it, and love it (although I'm still on 1.2 because I don't like the smaller Spotlight and Apple menu icons). :)

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My problem with Firefox is that it doesn't seem to work with any sort of net videos and other interactive media type things, even particular photo sites. It's really annoying. I've started using Camino full time, and it feels as fast as Safari and everything works.