Switched my Parents!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by allroy, Sep 17, 2004.

1. allroy macrumors member

Finally after 6 or 7 years I have gotten my parents to make the switch to Apple. It's been a long hard road, but finally thanks to Apple coming out with a solid machine with a great price (including a sweet gov't discount) I was able to get them to place the order today.

Did they go for the bottom end, no. Middle, no. Went right to the 20" model!

So in 3-4 weeks they'll have it and I'll take a trip through 3 states to get back home with extra memory and a nice new digi-cam for them to get started down the path that is OS X and almost Microsoft free (still need Word & Excel).

-j

:cool:

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I thought you were going to tell us how you got different parents and that seemed wrong for hardware discussion.

Hopefully, they'll enjoy the new machine but be ready for plenty of switching blues. :D

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm finally converting my parents to Apple as well, it wasn't easy! Had to deal against the notion that Mac were toys, that compatibility is not an issue, blah blah blah...in the end I just had to say that I wasn't going to constantly support their Compaq boxes anymore. Every visit home was basically spent doing a clean reinstall! Showed them what could be done on the Mac, a few eye candy effects and the new iMac G5 did the rest! :D Just trying to keep their interest going until the iMac becomes readily available :rolleyes:

As for trying to actually switch parents... ;)

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

:D Same here.

Anyway, my Dad was actually the person who switched me to Apple. He took me into London one day to show me the computers they were getting at his work (Macs) and compared to the crappy Win3.1 of the day, I knew we had to get one. :)

5. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

My dad and I switched together in Dec of 2001 with help from my uncle. We took the plunge with purchases of an iBook (for him) and a Powerbook (for me). Back then, they were running OS 9 and weren't nearly as stable as OS X but at least it wasn't Windows. We were really happy with the switch, and when software companies started making the switch, we moved to OS 10.1 (first release that MS office was made for).

Currently, I'm switching a girl friend (not to be confused with "lover"... just a girl that's a friend) and another Dell friend keeps trying to question her getting an iBook. I spent so many months scouring this message board, for every arguement he has, I have a counter (thanks guys ;) ). In the end though, it's up to her ogre of a dad to let her get it... apparantly, he has an issue with Macs :( even though SHE wants one.