Switched today!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by osiris315, Jul 6, 2005.

1. osiris315 macrumors member

osiris315

Well, ok, not quite but i have just placed my order FINALLY after moping around MR for the best part of a year. Have been WinTel for as long as i can remember, and before that in the medieval land of the Acorn! (dont ask why!).

So what did we spend all our money on? Hopefully a computer that will last me the next 4-5 years.

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3Ghz
    512MB RAM
    ATI Radeon X850 XT
    250GB HD
    Modem
    BT and AE

Had to go for the modem as i need to dial into networks out-of-band for support purposes. BT & AE? Why not! I'm sure the misses might like the idea of no wires in the study.
    I plumped for the X850 as I will play a few games and spending that sort of money, i went for the latest and greatest. I seem to sway for the ATI brand rather than NVidea.

The last thing that's missing is the 1Gb memory upgrade from Crucial which i'll pick up at some point next week.

Can't wait!!! :) :D

2. Hattig macrumors 65816

That's a good purchase, it is what I use at work (with 2.5GB RAM, but only the Radeon 9600), coupled with a 20" Cinema Display. A very nice machine indeed - and I just love that it can rip and encode a CD at over 20x!

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats a nice RIG!!! Rip and encode CD's at over 20x That must be sooo cool!!!

ShadOW

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You got yourself one fantastic setup and we're all drooling with jealousy! :D

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Congrats!

As to the BT/AE option. I love using the BT keyboard and mouse on my new iMac G5. And with AE you could get the AEX to wireless broadcast iTunes to your stereo.

6. osiris315 thread starter macrumors member

osiris315

Ah.. didnt think of that. I'll have to buy one of those at some point. I know there's 1000's of other things i didnt realise i could do!
    I hope that i can make some contribution here on MR with my switching experiences. I'm a network engineer by trade and i regularly use apps such as MS Office, Visio, Palm Desktop etc.. so i will try and give as much advice back as possible.

7. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Ohh man, my PB feels kind of jealous right now :)

8. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

That is a sweet setup. And with that system since it has 8 memory slots, you can have up to 8GB of RAM. :)

9. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

In fact 16 GB, but 2 GB stick are damn too expensive! buying a new computer is less expensive :eek:
    http://www.computerhq.com/Infineon_...256520GR-7-A/hardware/partinfo-id-113501.html
    497.00$US/stick
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KRX3200AK2/2G&promo=hx2shp
    kingston memory are more expensive around 650$US/stick
    at that price you nearly can have 2 powermac ;)

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the community. You're going to love it. Just one note regarding your RAM, be sure to purchase in like pairs. Enjoy!

11. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats on your purchase of your new Mac and welcome to the community. I love hearing the news of a new Switcher :D

12. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

that computer should last you 10 years if you add more ram and such...congrats!!

13. mak macrumors member

14. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

15. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Congrats on your purchase and switching...You will not be disappointed! Damn sweet purchase, a couple of months ago I bought a Dual 2.7 GHz G5, GeForce 6800 Ultra GT DDL, 2x400GB Serial ATA, 4GB RAM, with a 30" Cinema Monitor to upgrade from my old 400 Mhz G4 and the difference is amazing! It's like fallin in love with my Mac all over again. Should carry me for many years... My first Mac was the 8 MHz, 512K or "Fat Mac" with 512K of RAM, back in 1985, I used MacPaint and MacWrite a lot for college term papers, man we have come a long way since then, I still have the old 512K with the 800K floppy drive, lol...it sits next to my new G5 on my desk, it's like watching Darwins evolution of a species... :D

16. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

That is one sweet, drool-worthy machine.

It is one SWEET first Mac, too!!

I priced out my dream machine while I was waiting for the genius bar...
    Yup, still $12k :)
    (dual 2.7, dual 30" displays.. 8 gigs of ram.. *drool*)

Enjoy your new Mac! I hope you got a totally sick display to go with it, man! :)

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

18. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm looking at the same machine and two 20" displays this week...congratulations!

I still want to get the dual 2.7, but my accountant screams at me every time I try to convince him. :rolleyes:

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

20. osiris315 thread starter macrumors member

osiris315

Already have the superb Sony X93 19" monitor which i bought 2 years ago. I can't seem to justify spending another £549 on the 20" ACD (although i would love to!)... or i should say that i can't justify it to her indoors ;)

21. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

the X93 is a quality monitor and will amtch your system great, wouldnt bother getting a cinema display unless you've got money to burn...

ShadOW

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thought you were talking about a new home machine.
    :)

23. osiris315 thread starter macrumors member

osiris315

IBM announces PowerPC 970MP

It's sod's-smegging-law isn't it, that the minute I order my spanking new computer, they go and release the new processors for potentially the next range of Powermacs.

I know, i know, if you need a computer so just buy one now! We've been around this industry long enough to know that if you keep waiting, you'll stay waiting.

Wish it would bloody well hurry up. The Apple store still says 'Processing Order' and i'm itching to get my hands on it :p

24. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Well, I ordered my iBook ages ago, and although it has finaly shipped, this is what it says:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

25. osiris315 thread starter macrumors member

osiris315

Arrived at last!!!!

After salivating endlessly for the last few days, my first ever Mac was waiting for me when i got home from work last night :D and all the misses could say was "It's a bit f**ing big isn't it?!" I'll post up a pic of my setup when i get chance.

Haven't stopped grinning ear-to-ear yet! This computer is bloody amazing!!!! :)

I downloaded over 80Mb worth of updates, and added Adium, Skype, NeoOffice/J, iTerm, Camino (which is def a LOT better than Safari - but i'm prob just used to Firefox), and of course Enemy Territory. I suppose that i'll buy MS Office 2004 at some point too. Will be transferring all my PC files over this evening.

Dashboard = amazing!! Will be very useful.

Didn't have time to have a go on ET but will play tonight and see how it goes. I also managed to find Descent 2 as a freebie download. Anyone tried America's Army yet? Any good?

I'm now trawling through the MR archives to find some recommended software/widgets/games etc.