Switcher - emac to imac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dpclark, Dec 29, 2004.

1. dpclark macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I'm a new switcher - just got off the phone to apple to canx my order for an emac - in favor of a new G5 iMac (thats why my hands are still shaking) hopefully I've done the right thing? but with all the talk on this forum of emacs and the new updates due, and with tiger stalking in the wings it pushed me over the edge into doing it - will be placeing an order for some more memory with crucial UK when they get their systems back up and running - expect lots for questions from me once the machine arriveds in the forums.

Later

D

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The iMac is a much better machine than the eMac.
    Ok, its a bit more expensive, but you get a 17" widescreen LCD, better GPU and a faster more modern CPU.
    It will last loner than the eMac.

3. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Haha dont worry man you made a good choice. The macs are awesome you will be pleased. Dont be nervous ;)

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Yes good choice definitely a good choice

Not to worry, you done good lad. I placed my order for my shiny new iMac this morning, around 3:30 local time. I'm all giddy too, so don't feel weird. The eMac is a good machine and all for what it does, but mine is scarcely a year old and it's already showing its age. Hopefully this new iMac will last me a good chunk of the way into grad school

On a side note, it's fun to order things late at night. The salespeople you get to talk to are much more interesting.

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Get the iMac G5 because as said nearlly everything is better SCREEN, GPU, CPU, FSB, HDD. And it has the G5 so more compatible into the future. :rolleyes:

6. dpclark thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys

Thanks for all the support guys - now I've just got to wait through apples unusual torture techniques i.e. waiting for my baby to ship and wing its way to me from shanghi - it took about a month when i was one of the 1st to order the new 4g ipod (delivery to the uk is nowhere near a fast as in the US :( )

cheers

Darren

7. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

Don’t know if I would buy a new Mac so close to MacWorld. Not that I think there will be any iMac revisions, but a eMac G5 might be worth considering. Always nice to know your options.

But anyways: the iMac is a pretty cool machine, and I’m sure you will love it! Guess I’m just jealous. ;)

Welcome to the good side!

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Welcome to the light side of computing.

Linkety

Good read for a newbie, so that you don't run into issues when you ask for help. If you need help.

9. dpclark thread starter macrumors member

thanks

Hey, Thanks for the link - good thread for a noob - have bought the hidden manual for panther so hopefully wont need to cry out for help too much - glad I;m switching over to apple - you just dont get this kind of help on peecee forums :D