Switcher having trouble with card reader

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LordFluff, Dec 21, 2006.

1. LordFluff macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2006
    Hi all

With years of PC experience I've just got my first Mac (pro). First problem - my card reader won't unmount. Well, you can drag it to the eject icon on the dock, but within a couple of seconds it has remounted itself. My plan is to buy a new card reader (the Sandisk Firewire one) unless anyone can advise that I'm missing something - the card reader works just fine under Windows.

2. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2006
    The Emerald Isle
    Sorry, that's a new one on me. Try another reader.

I have three different card readers and they work perfectly.

Now flash memory (pen drives) are another story.

Dave :confused:
  3. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    I've used many flash drives, some cheap, some expensive, and have never had a problem. What issues do you get?
  4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    If it has actually ejected properly just pull out the card reader, the only reason you have to eject it is that (unlike Windows) OS X doesn't copy to external storage immediately :rolleyes:.
  5. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2006
    The Emerald Isle
    I use both PC's and Mac's in college and have found that some flash drives can be read by both PC's and Macs, while others can only be read by one or the other.

All the flash drives were formated on the same G5 Mac :confused:

Very strange.

Dave :)
  6. chasemac macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2005
    In a house.
    Just curious if you press command+e that you get the same result.
  7. LordFluff thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2006
    I'm not sure what you mean. How could it have ejected properly if it reappears on the desktop seconds after ejecting?
  8. Ergolad macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2007
    Fellow Switcher: Me too

Same issue with me too. Cheap XD card reader connected to a BookEndz docking station on a new MacBook. Eject and then it reappears. I just try to pull it before it reappears. Problem is that I corrupted the card at one point I think because of this. Solutions?