Switcher Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by flahiker, Nov 15, 2004.

1. flahiker macrumors member

Last week I bought a brand spankin new ibook with superdrive. Now This was a leap of faith, since the last Mac I used was back in college ~ 1991. Does anyone have any links / suggestions for a windows user switching to OSX?

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Here's a starting point:

http://www.apple.com/switch/

Welcome. Glad to hear you've finally gotten your iBook. How do you like it so far?

3. flahiker thread starter macrumors member

It was mail order. :( UPS will deliver it this afternoon. I am a little nervous cause I really know very little about it. I do know Linux and Unix commands / structure.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Relax, you will feel at home quickly. OS X is a great operating system, and the iBook is a sweet little computer. I know a half-dozen folks who have switched, most of them with consumer level computer knowledge, and it has been a piece of cake for all of them.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

What is it you are looking to do with your iBook? Did you order any applications to go with it?

It's a great machine - I'm sure you'll be happy with it, and learning OS X is fairly simple and intuitive. The key, I think, is just take your time and play with the interface, experiment. Don't worry about jumping into Terminal with your Unix background - it generally isn't necessary.

6. flahiker thread starter macrumors member

It Is Here!

Well, It is here! I am typing this on my shiny new ibook wirelesly. It found the routers with no problem. Now I have to spend a day figuring out how to use it.

All I can say is it looks and feels great. It is way more responsive than XP on my 1.4 Ghz athalon machine. Battery life is great. 4+ hours so far. I realize I have not done serious computing yet, but this better than my compaq ever got. :D

7. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

id definatly reccomend buying "mac os x: the missing manual". its a great book and recource for both long time users and switchers like us. I havent even got my powerbook yet, but after reading it, I feel comftorble in the os x enviroment, knowing how to do pretty much everything i know how to do on windows.