Switcher here, wanted to say hello

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by swiftaw, Jan 31, 2005.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Just ordered a new 15" powerbook, my first ever Mac. Very excited, wish it was arriving tomorrow.

Just wanted to say hi and thanks to everyone, I have been reading these boards for a few weeks and have learned so much already.

Anyways, if anyone has some OS X advice for a complete newbie (I am not technologically challenged but have never used OS X before) I would be more than happy to listen.

2. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Welcome to MacRumors and congrats on your purchase! I know you won't be disappointed.

As for OS X advice, just google it and many useful sites will come up. You can always find a myriad of information here right on MacRumors. The best advice though is to just play around with it and explore - that's the best way to learn!

4. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

welcome!

just wanted to welcome you to the gang! well.. we aren't really a gang, more of a..well.. some call it a cult, you will learn that its more of a group of people wildly appreciative of their computers. heh.. just a bit of mac fun. anyways, you will love your powerbook, and if not send it my way ;) you will find Mac OS X extremely easy to use. Stick around the forums and you will be able to pick up anything you need, but most is self-explanatory. I would wish you luck, but you aren't going to need it! Enjoy!

Current Song: Scissor Sisters::Take Your Mama Out::Scissor Sisters

5. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Welcome, I too am a recent switcher, and I find myself spending less and less time on my PC every day. This is a good family here, stick around and hollar if you need anything!

Excellent song!

6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You can get started in OSX by just accessing the Help files. It'll show you solutions to some of the common switcher questions.

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    welcome hope u have a great computing experience

9. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Welcome to the wondeful world of mac. Your going to pick up on everything really fast.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And a big Hi! from me...

You'll enjoy your new Mac and you'll enjoy it here on MR - the best and most funniest Mac forum...

Contrary to some impressions, we're mostly cuddly and are always willing to lend a hand.

11. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Welcome, and www.versiontracker.com for your applicaton needs. Also, Right click = Ctrl + Click since its a single button track pad. Ordered my replacement PB yesturday, hope it ships on the correct date, its 2/8/05 right now.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Hello swiftaw welcome as a new switcher and to MacRumors. Your timing was perfect, since you will be getting the latest model PowerBook. This is a great place to find answers to your questions. The tutorial when first starting your PowerBook is a very helpful tool. Are you planning or have you purchased AppleCare, a necessary accessory.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Except when it's product introduction time :D at least in regards to the cuddly part. But, yeah, overall we're generally willing to help out when we can!

14. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Personally, I'd just suggest you use the damn thing before reading/hauling a 1,000 page "manual" to learn about it.

The same way I learned how to use XP is the same way I've gotten accustomed to using OSX and that's by spending time with it. Maybe I'm more of a hands on guy, but if you spend enough time on the computer (and less with your head in a book), I find I learn ALOT quicker. Of course reference the book when you need some details about some things, but seriously, OSX does not need to be studied and "learned" like engineering ;)

Its much simpler than that. Heck, I learn most of what I know from using the G5 in the University library + this forum. That's all. I just can't imagine myself buying a book to enjoy something like OSX.

Ah well, if you're gonna buy the book, then go ahead. But I seriously don't think you'll need it.

15. TID macrumors newbie

16. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, I did indeed purchase AppleCare. I also upgraded the ram to 1gb and the vram to 128mb

Also just picked up my free copy of Office 2004 and VPC 7 from the university computing office.