Switcher just ordered a PB 15.2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bthom70, Oct 29, 2005.

1. bthom70 macrumors member

I submitted my order through Amazon for the newest new PB 15.2.
    After rebate the price is the same as Apple's education discount but I save on NO TAX.......
    Now I have to buy all of the incidentals. Radtech screen cover and keyboard cover, The Switchers Guide to Tiger, a new BT mouse and 2 1gb sticks of ram.
    In a few weeks, I'll order Applecare.

Shipping says Nov 7-10

Ive got the new computer, AKA new car jitters.

Look out for more questions from this switcher

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. generik macrumors 601

generik

I bought one too :)

Will waltz into the local apple reseller to get a mighty mouse probably, as well as a matching foofbag for it :D

Kinda exciting

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Congates on ur new PowerBook!

I myself am waiting for my new 2 GHz 17 inch iMac to arrive! Urghh can waitttttt!!! :D:D:D

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

Oh yes, how do you get it with no tax?

I'm truly curious.

6. loghound macrumors newbie

Amazon only charges sales tax in a few states (Washington, Nevada... Perhaps a few others)...

They very cleverly only do business in a few states so most folks can buy things without paying sales tax (of course, you are supposed to self report those items purchased out of state)

7. panda macrumors regular

cool

congrats and welcome.

i would put an airport express down as top accessory.

now that you have a stunning laptop, why not use it anywhere at home?:)

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

congrats on the purchase. keep us posted after you get it

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hey, welcome to the cool club. (we're cool, in case you need to be reminded)

I can (sort of) understand the desire for a screen cover, but I don't think you'll need a screen cover as well. I wouldn't get either one, but if you're going to get one, get the screen cover. Can you even use both simultaneously? Will it make a difference?

You also don't need the Switchers Guide right away. My advice would be to wait and see how well you make the transition, and if you're stuck after a week and we/MacRumors can't help you, THEN get the book. It'll save you some cash.

10. Kristine macrumors 6502

I just switched; got the 15" Powerbook. You might want to try out the Mighty Mouse before getting Bluetooth Mouse. I really wanted the Bluetooth Mouse, but I tried both out for about 10 minutes each and although the Mighty Mouse is not cordless - it felt much easier to use (this is coming from a Windows user who is used to right-clicking). It is also much lighter than the Bluetooth Mouse.

Forgot to add - don't purchase "The Switchers Guide to Tiger" just yet; save your money. I thought that I would need this, but the Tiger is sooooo easy to use. There is so much information on this forum and other places online that I doubt your will need to purchase the guide.

11. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

You did good! Once you have received it and put your PB through its paces, follow-up with some feedback.

12. bthom70 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the support.

Not a big fan of the Mightymouse, Ive tried it in the store.

I was looking at the new Logitech V270 about $45-50US
    It's the new bluetooth mouse, but hardly anyone online carries it.
    It has OSX drivers and is fully compliant WITHOUT a dongle
    And I think it has an On/Off switch
    http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/logitech_v270_cordless_optical_notebook_mouse.html

Thanks for info about the book and screen cover. But I think a keyboard cover is a must. My home is old and very dusty, keeping any keyboard clean is futile at best.

13. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

I agree with Abstract & Kristine. And I would rather choose MR over the Switchers Guide for free advise.

14. bthom70 thread starter macrumors member

YIPPIE it came in today Nov 9th.
    So that was let me add it up ummm. 11 days.

I'll hve to wait till Fri to unpack it. My boss gave all us veterans off. So I didnt say no. But tomorow I have a busy day and at night I work on Grad school work. I dont want impede my term paper writing trying to figure out a new OS.

I'll get to play with it on Fri and over the weekend.

15. godbout macrumors regular

Wow! That is alot of restraint! It is obvious that this is your first Mac becuase I doubt that anyone that has went through the experience of opening one up could wait ;) Well, have fun with it when you do finally open it... There are some must read posts around here including best free software etc... good luck!

16. bthom70 thread starter macrumors member

OK, I opened the box and unpacked my new PB, this is my official first post on my new PB.
    I'm still figuring out where things arebut the 1st thing I did was download Firefox.

Wish me luck

edit: I tried the PB with the stock 512ram and noticed a big difference after I put in the Transcend 1gig I got from Newegg.

So far its going well, a few thing I have to get used to like trying to get back to a window behind another window without minimizing it. I also have to figure out to make Firefox my default browser NOT Safari when I open things.

17. motherduce macrumors 6502

Congrats. Mine arrives this afternoon. How does the screen look? You getting the horizontal line issue, flickering, or anything? Also, how does your PB open/close? Is the lid even, etc?

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

congrats! i have the exact same laptop. i'm loving mine, and i hope you are also:cool: