Switcher - moving messages, addresses etc.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RickT, Oct 10, 2005.

1. RickT macrumors newbie

I am moving from USA to UK and will be switching from a PC to an iMac and want to transfer my e-mail addresses and messages to Safari. My existing e-mail application (Earthlink) gives me the option of exporting messages and addresses in csv format (comma seperated values), I will save to a CD. Does anyone know if I can import csv addresses and messages directly into Safari?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Why not use a gmail/hotmail/yahoo account as a temporary home for your e-mail and contacts. All of these will import a CSV file of contacts. I am currently most partial to gmail.

You could use gmail loader http://www.marklyon.org/gmail/ from your PC, to upload your exported e-mail from earthlink to gmail. You could then POP3 your e-mail from gmail to Mail.app on your new iMac

B

3. RickT thread starter macrumors newbie

I could - but not as easy as simply importing directly from csv file into safari! Question is - can safari import csv files??

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Safari doesnt handle emails, mail does.

You might want to export to CSV and add it to the Address Book.
    Then export all your bookmarks to another open format and import them with safari.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I was trying to point you a different way since you seem to be confusing Apples and oranges.

Safari is a web browser, so you pretty much need to use a webmail service to use it for mail. ;) [You're basically asking whether IE can import a CSV file. Hint: it can't, but Outlook Express can.]

Note also that CSV is a lousy format for e-mails, it's decent for tabular data like contacts, but for e-mails you will want to export to "mbox" format. This is the native e-mail format for traditional unix mail clients, and it has also been used for many Windows clients (Netscape/Mozilla/Thunderbird). Mail.app can import your e-mail messages from an mbox file.

B

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OK. I guess you are using Earthlink MailBox as your e-mail client. I know nothing about that program.

The import options that Tiger's Mail application (Mail.app) will present are:
    Entourage, Outlook Express, Claris Emailer, Netscape/Mozilla, Eudora, Mail for MacOSX, Other (mbox). You need to get your e-mail into one of those formats.

If possible, it would be better to get your contacts exported in VCF format, instead of CSV as these will import easier into the Address Book application.

I actually use my iPod as an intermediary using iPod Sync to get my contacts (stored on an Exchange Server at work) in VCF format on the 'Pod and them import them on the Mac. I coulddo he same for calendar, butit's hard to keep them in sync, so I just use webmail for my calendar.

Another reason I suggested webmail as an intermediary, is that you can always access that from any machine during your transition period.

B

7. 199708 macrumors 6502

Kinda reviving an old thread, but just to let people know how i did my change over.

-outlook express > entourage
    -create an empty folder on your desktop
    -open address book, select all the contacts, and dopy paste into the empty folder.
    -then copy the folder to a thumb drive/cd/network over to the mac.
    -copy teh contents of the folder into entourage address book window.

everything works as if i was still using outlook express.