Switcher needs answer to quick question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by umdjb, Jan 4, 2007.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

Hey,

Does anyone know if the 2Ghz MB with 2GB of Ram will run parrallels or boot camp fast enough to do some basic word processing, watching a .avi movie perhaps, or internet browsing. Basically looking for some feedback about MB owners and their experience with parrallels and their systems specs.

Thanks!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, yes and yes. With the exception of games and heavy photo/video editing, any Intel-based system will handle anything you throw at it.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

4. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

LOL!

I love it when people lie to switchers. It makes them hate us even more when they find out that OS X doesn't have any software and we're all just a bunch of graphic designers who sit around all day making screenshots of fake software.

It pwns :cool:

5. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I bought a stock 2ghz white MB at Xmas for my daughter and wife to play with, finally removing the last vestiges of the pc world (an old thinkpad) from our home network. I installed parallels on the MB so that my daughter could continue to play some PC only games and my wife could continue to use MS Money (as she likes to monitor how much money we haven't got..).
    I am happy to say that both tasks work fine and wife and daughter are extremely happy bunnies with their new machine.
    cheers
    Vanilla

6. arabiafish macrumors newbie

yes, I just switched to a MBP (almost the same as the MB CPU) from a Dell 1.8ghz Centrino, and I use Parallels with 2GB of RAM. It's stunningly fast on both the OSX and XP sides.

7. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

Just because I am a switcher and new to Apple does not entitle you to dispense ridicule. As someone unfamiliar with the Mac and preparing to make a very important (and expensive decision mind you), I am afforded the opportunity to make the most consumer-concious decision I can. I have heard reports and complaints from friends and posters alike over difficulties running .avi files on OSX, which legitimizes my question. Also, after testing some of Office for Mac on OSX I prefer to use the original Windows version. Moreover, my question was also generalized to other PC software that is not available or run as well on OSX.

8. Smoke454 macrumors newbie

Smoke454

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've found Parallels to be an excellent solution, providing nearly-native speed and, as far as my uses go, 100% compatibility.

However, if you install and use Boot Camp, you'll have, quite literally, a Windows laptop with fast hardware. Also, the newest Parallels build can use the Boot Camp partition, so you wouldn't need to install Windows twice.

10. mrploddy macrumors member

There are quite reasnoable OS X alternatives...

Word Processing -

Microsoft Office 2004:MAC
    Neo Office

AVI Movies -

What codec are the movies in ?
    Google for VLC, that plays almost anything AVI be it in DIVX / H264 / XVID
    Theres also an xvid plugin for Quick Time as well but if you want full screen in quick time you'll need to pay for the pro version.

Internet Browsing -

Safari (Apples Standard Browser)
    Mozilla Firefox (same as PC version)

As for PC games, Parallels will NOT run anything 3D but basic educational games and/or old games will run fine. As for performance I have the 2.0ghz white with 2GB ram and it runs parallels a charm. The only thing you'll need to use parallels for though is MS Money and the games(but there are MS Money alternatives in OS X....)

-mrploddy

11. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

AVI files can be viewed in OSX using VLC (which is free);)

12. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

LOL :D :D...that just made my day :D

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

He wasn't ridiculing you - he was, in fact, making a sarcastic remark about a completely different post.

However, it's interesting that you'd be looking at purchasing a Mac, and then also look to run Boot Camp to do things that are clearly able to be done natively on OS X - word processing, internet browsing, and watching movies.

Your comment about generalizing to other software didn't come through well in the original post. Perhaps you could clarify why you're looking at purchasing a Mac if you're apparently convinced that there is so much PC software out there or software that doesn't work as well on OS X.

14. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

My buddy got a MBP intending to install XP via bootcamp and never touch OSX, so when I was installing Bootcamp for him, I intentionally made his partition really small. He was basically forced into using OS X, and I can say about 2 weeks later, he couldn't be happier!

15. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

I switched and then found myself not needing XP at all. I was pleasantly surprised.

16. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Thank god for that- someone buying a macbook and not using OS X! That would have been criminal.

17. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I think you jumped the gun slightly. He wasn't ridiculing you at all. May I ask why you are interested in purchasing a Mac when you wish to do even the most basic tasks in windows? Perhaps sticking with a windows laptop would better suite your needs?

18. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

2.0 C2D with 2GB will definitely run Windows in Parallel just for Word Processing but OSX has Microsoft Word...