Switcher Q: what exactly do I have to do with my iTunes stuff?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anthonymoody, Jan 19, 2005.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    My mini shipped (I'm practically drooling with anticipation) and I'm wondering what I need to do exactly to get iTunes set up with my current songs. On my PC I have about 5gigs of 'free' stuff and about 100 songs purchased from iTunes. I know how to get the free stuff moved over. How about the purchased stuff? And is there anything special I need to do (once I move the songs over) to get my iPod mini to sync with the Mac Mini?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Just move them over like you would your other tunes, first time you try to play one you will need to authorize the Mini to be able to play them (enter the name and password that you paid for them with), and that's it.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Apple should really update its switcher's guide at apple.com/switch. No mention of iTMS at all.
  4. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    Thanks. I suspected it might be that simple but wanted to double check. I did check the apple switcher site first too :)

5. WoofJoe macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2005
    Dont forget to de-authorize.

Just a reminder to de-authorize your current iTunes machine once you switch over to your Mac Mini.

By default, the iTunes music folder is located in the Music folder within your home (user account) directory on the Mac.

Between switching computers and hard drives I inadvertantly used up all of my iTunes authorizations and was unable to play my purchased music on any machine at all. Thankfully, Apple responded to my plight and reset all my authorizations.
  6. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003

You don't need to deauthorize your PC -- the iTMS lets you authorize five computers at any one time -- but if you are planning on not using the PC (and if you aren't, you may be soon :)) you will want to deauthorize it just to be safe.
  7. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    i thought that they changed the amount of authorized computers allowed from 5 to 7. i could of sworn that steve said this at the expo when they released the iPod photo, or when they released the new iMacs. I could be wrong though.

My bad. i guess it is still just 5. iTunes Support